• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am I being cruel?

sharond

Warren Scout
I just don't know if I'm being cruel having George as an only bunny. I have had him from a baby. Karen from Ross rabbits ( who I bought him from) would only let him go as a single bun, if he was a free range house rabbit, which he is. He is neutered, loves our dog and two cats and seems perfectly happy. He recieves lots of attention from us, has loads of toys etc. but how would I tell if he were unhappy?

I have to say I am so worried that if I got a girly bun for him, that they might not bond, that she might be scared of our dog, that he may spend less time with us. To be honest I am happy for now with just him, but I don't want George to be unhappy. He comes and lies with us, he runs round and binkys all the time, and often comes on an evening and snuggles up with Wolf. (our dog) Do you all think he is ok alone?

How many hours a day does he spend alone? I think unless you are at home all day he may get lonely. Its lovely to watch two rabbits snuggle together :D

Estelle said:
How many hours a day does he spend alone? I think unless you are at home all day he may get lonely. Its lovely to watch two rabbits snuggle together :D

Not very many, I only work part time, a few hours 3 days a week, but my husband works shifts, so he is usualy home during the day or most part of it. It is the same with our dog, I think it only works out about 3 days of a month when they are on their own for about 3 -4 hours.

I think that single rabbits are fine, as long as they get plenty of attention like George obviously does. :D Tbh it sounds like George is fine on his own, however if you feel like he is lonely it might be worth taking him to a rescue and introducing him to some girl bunnies to see if he likes any. :wink:

Bracken who is the fawn coloured rabbit in the photo is on his own now, he came from Ross rabbits 3 1/2 yrs ago with Beebie the butterfly coloured rabbit, but she passed away in May, I got Florence as his companion in May as he had statis and was very lonely.

Florence also passed away in August and since then he`s become a house rabbit on his own and is doing well. I think it comes down to each rabbit how they are on their own.

George is a handsome chap, looks very similar to Beebie.

i think its down to the individual rabbit, but i think he sounds like he gets lots of attention and is very happy

Aww, two more Ross bunnies! My Bella is one of their retired breeding buns.
I think George sounds very happy. Seeing two buns loved up is absolutely beautiful though.

Sorry, that wasn't very helpful was it. :roll:

Squidgy's a lone house bun, but my o/h works from home, so Squidge is very rarely on his own. It's up to the individual bunny of course, but he sounds fine.

Id say he was happy as he is with you being with him a lot and having his other fury family members.

My Benji was on his own for his first year and then i got Amber. Everything changed. We loved her to bits but she was a real pain in the bum :lol:
She was hard to toilet train and was a very lazy bun. Ben didnt explore as much and just ...sat with Amber instead. She always had digestive problems but he also gained weight too no matter what i tried.
They liked to cuddle up yes, but they werent the same, he wasnt as active at all.

Well Amber was with us 2 years and her already bad health caught up with her and she sadly went to the bridge as a youngster.

After a few months I decided to take on Evie who has now been with us about 5 months.
Well shes just wonderful and both bunnies are quite active and Benji is a lot healthier again. Theyre always exploring together and Id missed his mischevious binkies and 'circuit' runs :lol: theyre just the perfect couple, I couldnt ask for 2 nicer bunnies.

So my point is that it has to be right for you as well as for him if you do get him a girlfriend. But if it aint broke.... lol

I dont think you are being cruel, he does sound happy, but he probably would be even happier if he had a friend of his own to talk to :)

Back