• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

pls help - Dobbin not right

Dobbin

Mama Doe
I dont quite know what the problem - he ate his food this morning like normal - but about 20 ins ago i tokk him out a hay cube and some pineapple juice which he is not touching - it is usually gone instantly. He is also very very cuddly - he is a cuddly bun but much more than normal.

Please help
Sue
xx

What did he have to eat this morning? Is he pooping/ weeing/ drinking?

He had his usual, bit of celery and a carrot top, he has unlimited hay.

He has done a wee, but the litter tray was in there from 8 am so i not sure when - he has done about 20 poos but again i not sure when - his water things are full so i am assuming not but i cant be sure as for a drink

Sue
xx

Is it worht giving him some tummy rubs, just in case he's got a bit of gas? That's usually my first step with the bunnies if they stop eating. Maybe syringe a bit oif cooled boiled water. Then I make them run about a bit.
Hope someone esle is along soon who may have some other suggestions.

I have given him some tummy rubs but i will go and do some more - i will also boil the kettle - thank you very much.

anyone else any suggestions?

Sue
xx

Oh no Sue I'm so sorry to hear that Dobbin isn't quite right :cry: I was only wondering the other day, how Dobbin is getting on.

Have you got any infacol? If not, can you get to a supermarket/chemist and get some? If he has a bit of a gassy tummy, infacol can help it to pass through - give 2ml straightaway then I think it's 1ml each hour afterwards. I'd also bring him indoors so he is a bit warmer and it's easier for you to keep an eye on him, and give him lots of gentle tummy rubs if he will let you. Is he still moving around? It is easier to keep bunny intestines moving if he is moving, so give him interesting things to look at and do and that should also help.

I'd also empty out his litter tray so you can monitor if he pees/poops. If he doesn't eat and poop on his own within a couple of hours, I'd suggest getting him to an emergency vet today, as they can go downhill very quickly if their guts stop moving. The vet will be able to give a stimulant to get the gut going again, along with some painkiller to make Dobbin feel better.

Hope Dobbin feels better soon, please keep us posted.

I was going to suggest Infacol too... all Alisons advice is good :thumb:

Really hope your little boy is feeling better soon, sending lots of vibes xx

AlisonA said:
If he doesn't eat and poop on his own within a couple of hours, I'd suggest getting him to an emergency vet today, as they can go downhill very quickly if their guts stop moving. The vet will be able to give a stimulant to get the gut going again, along with some painkiller to make Dobbin feel better.

Completely agree. Bobby didn't respond to my treatment on Thursday night (usually I can feel the wind going through :oops: and he's better in 3 or 4 hours) so straight to the vets for metoclopramide, painkiller and vitamin B12, which was repeated Friday morning and Saturday morning. I've had to nurse him through since Thursday night, but he's much better today. The vet said she could feel a mass or something which wasn't passing through, so he had liquid praffin as well.
The main thing is that you've noticed it early. Sending nose rubs to Dobbin.

i have just given him some tummy rubs - kettle has boiled - yes i have infacol. A new litter tray is down.

While i was out there he did a poo which was the largest i have ever seen him do was like a sausage - sorry to be so descriptive i dont know if it will help or not.

I have put a bit of all his fav foods down - a couple of pellets, a couple of bits of dryed corn and the hay cube. As yet he has not touched them. He is running around a bit.

What else can i do?

Should i do infacol and cooled boiled water?????

Sue
xx

Got to be good news that something has emerged from the other end!

I would still try the Infacol if you have some.

Yes infacol is inert, it is not absorbed by the body, it just helps to get gas passed through, so there's no harm in giving some. The fact that he has done a poo (even if it is odd) is a good sign, as it shows that his guts are still moving. Are you able to check his mouth - is there any way he could have damaged it, maybe it's hurting him to eat. If you need to go to the vets later, I'd ask them to look at his teeth including his molars if the vet doesn't automatically do it, as it's fairly common for dental problems to be a reason for buns to stop eating.

Please do keep us posted xxx

i am here alone OH is in london at mo and i am in a state of panic - i kow probably sounds stupid - sorry.

2ml of infacol - even though he is a small bun?

Thank yu from the bottom of my heart for all the help and advise i have been given so far

Sue
xx

Sending nose rubs, Treacle gets the same from time to time, but it passes in a couple of hours with her, I put it down to her having long fur. I just keep an eye on her poops to know her belly is still moving. belly rubs and movement is good.

Dobbin said:
he is inside - infacol administered - hot water coolong - a selection of food available for him

Sue
xx

:thumb: :thumb:

No you don't sound stupid AT ALL... I always cry and get really upset if I think something is wrong with one of my babies :roll: Just shows we love them I suppose :D

Sending some more vibes Dobbins way!

Sounds good! Have you tried tempting him with a dandelion leaf? or some herbs?
If something's coming out the other end, that's definitely a good sign. Is he a good hay eater?

I was only wondering how Dobbin was the other day too. I can't add any advise to what has already been given, but I do hope he feels better soon.

Back