• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Zeubin has a huge absess..U/D....Back from the vets

Veronica

Mama Doe
Last night while hand feeding Zeubin (he loves to come and take pellets from my hand), I noticed a huge absess around Zeubin's neck. It's so big, its roughly nearly the size of half of his head attached to his right hand side of his face going all the way round under his chin.

I feel so guilty that I didn't spot this sooner, although it most have blown up fairly rapidly.

Zeubin is currently in really bad moult. Infact, he's so tufty that he has bits and bobs sticking out of him all over the place, and his neck is so fluffy that he looks almost lionhead.

It was while feeding him last night I noticed he wasn't/couldnt move his head to the right hand side, so actually pressed down on what looked to be a big tuft of moulting fur....only to find it was hard mass.
I was mortified. My poor poor baby.

I was up till 3am last night, in tears and on the phone to every vet in west yorks trying to get him in.

Frustratingly enought, they don't seem to see it as an 'emergency case', and were advising me to wait till surgery on monday!!!!! Not a chance.

I've been on the phone this morning trying to get him into the only surgerys that are open on a Sunday...most of whom are only open for half and hour.
So far, I keep getting asked to 'call back later', as I'm still speaking to the emergency cover guys!

I've got a poorly bun who NEEDS to see a vet. I'm stuck on the phone trying my hardest to get him into one.
I'm currently trying Ashfield, who are open from 10.30-11am....and have been told to ring back after 10. Fingers crossed, I need to get Zeubin in.

I cried last night, and I feel like crying again.

Please don't feel guilty about not spotting the abscess sooner. These things can pop up so quickly. When Benny's first appeared on his jaw I was devastated and felt guilty too but his tends to come and go and it definitely does reappear overnight sometimes!

Hope all goes well for you. Keep us posted.

Vick & Benny x

Hope all goes well.

The same thing happened to my Patch (now at RB) and I felt terrible I'd not spotted it before, but it's quite difficult with fluffy bunsters!

Sending positive vibes to you both.

Hi....I'm writing this through blurry, tearful eyes :(

We're back from the vets, and I'm devastated to say it's not good news.

As I thought, Zeubin's absess stems from an infected back tooth, which has lead to an infected gum, and then to an infected jaw.
The vet says is it highly likely the jaw bone is completely infected, and the absess is fully attacted to the jaw bone.
This is going to make removing it, and fighting the infection very very difficult, as the bone is infected.

The next course of action is to book him in for the day (which I have done, and will be taking him back to the vets tomorrow morning at 8.30am), and open up the absess. The absess will be removed as much as possible, and will be left as an open wound.
Zeubin will be put on anitibiotics to try and kill off the infection in the bone, and I will have to flush out the open wound 2-3 times a day.

The vet says this is one of the most severe cases of an absess he has seen in a bun....due to how attached it is to the bone of his jaw. (it's attached all the way long his jaw).
Our main concern that because of it's location, and severity it will eventually cause him to stop eating.
The vet has given him a 25% chance of survival/complete recovery....although says this is a very optimistic percentage, as he thinks it is more than likely the absess with keep reoccuring for the rest of his life.

I'm sorry to say, I cried in front of the vet...I cried while driving home, and I am still doing so now :(

Devastated is too mild a word for how I'm feeling at the moment.

I'm so sorry to hear it's not good news :( Poor Zeubin. Sending loads of vibes to him, really really hope he can recover. Also sending loads of hugs to you xx

Sending huge hugs to you Veronica. At least he is getting the treatment he needs and lots and lots of love. He is in the best possible hands.

My Patch had exactly the same thing. The first vet I saw said she was 'no good' :shock: :cry: , and wanted to give up on her straight away. The second was much more sympathetic. Patch was with me for another 6 months and she led a happy life right up until the end. She developed a liking for pear :roll: and was still able to eat her pellets.

Zeubin sounds like he has a a better chance, as the vet is prepared to operate on him.

Wishing you all the very best of luck for tomorrow.

xEMMAx said:
I'm so sorry to hear it's not good news :( Poor Zeubin. Sending loads of vibes to him, really really hope he can recover. Also sending loads of hugs to you xx

Thank you Emma, it means such lot.

My poor baby, it makes me so upset because he's so tiny. The vet was so negative, and my mum's concerned too as he's so tiny, so will he be able to take all this? I'm trying to stay positive, but it's so hard :(

What a shock - sending positive vibes to you and Zeubin. Fingers crossed he will recover... I cry in front of my vet - don't feel bad about that!

Thinking of you.

HS said:
Sending huge hugs to you Veronica. At least he is getting the treatment he needs and lots and lots of love. He is in the best possible hands.

My Patch had exactly the same thing. The first vet I saw said she was 'no good' :shock: :cry: , and wanted to give up on her straight away. The second was much more sympathetic. Patch was with me for another 6 months and she led a happy life right up until the end. She developed a liking for pear :roll: and was still able to eat her pellets.

Zeubin sounds like he has a a better chance, as the vet is prepared to operate on him.

Wishing you all the very best of luck for tomorrow.

Thank you for your thoughts, and your info on your experiences with Patch.
I wanted the vet to operate on him straight away today, but with it being a Sunday, the vet said only emergency cases today. He gave him pain relief and anti inflamitry injection today, and he's going in for his op first thing tomorrow.

Zeubin is such a special little boy. I don't want to give up on him straight away. I at least want him to be operated on, to see what is really going on inside with this infection. I even said to the vet that if it is a back tooth that is causing the problem, can't they remove that too when they go to operate? The vet said no. What do you guys think?

My main concern is that I don't want my little boy to be in any pain. I'd rather have him go peacefully now than suffer in any pain. However, I don't want to give up on him, if theres a chance he might pull through...and I'm willing to do anything for him to give him this chance.
I feel completely stuck in this dilemna.

So sorry to hear your news. The first vet we took Benny to said we should just give him painkillers until the inevitable happened and I cried too, I couldn't believe what I was hearing, she was so cold and heartless.

I did a bit of research though and we found two excellent vets, one of which said it was the worst case he'd ever seen and was a bit doubtful about his chances. The vet we currently see now has been fantastic and has thrown every drug imaginable at this thing and it seems to have done the trick (touch wood!).

We have tried so many different ways of curing this - Benny's also started out from an infected tooth root. If you want to know what we used let me know and I will PM you the details.

Benny's last abscess burst and healed in the summer and this is the longest he's gone without any swelling. That's not to say it won't come back but he is in excellent health!

Please do not give up hope!

xx

chubbina said:
So sorry to hear your news. The first vet we took Benny to said we should just give him painkillers until the inevitable happened and I cried too, I couldn't believe what I was hearing, she was so cold and heartless.

I did a bit of research though and we found two excellent vets, one of which said it was the worst case he'd ever seen and was a bit doubtful about his chances. The vet we currently see now has been fantastic and has thrown every drug imaginable at this thing and it seems to have done the trick (touch wood!).

We have tried so many different ways of curing this - Benny's also started out from an infected tooth root. If you want to know what we used let me know and I will PM you the details.

Benny's last abscess burst and healed in the summer and this is the longest he's gone without any swelling. That's not to say it won't come back but he is in excellent health!

Please do not give up hope!

xx

Aww thank you for your positive post. I feel relieved in finding someone who is going through the same thing. I would love if you could pm me with details of Benny's treatment. I'd be so grateful. Thank you so much

Alfie has a tooth root absess that has gone to bone
I dont know if you have read any of his stories but 4 months ago he was at his worst and i honestly thought id got to have him pts but i found a vet who was willing to treat him and since then he has been brilliant
He has even started eating hay which he never did this proves how much better he is feeling it was a long haul to try and get him better the vet said she cant say how much longer he will have but he is happy and healthy now.the most important thing is to get him on to penicillin injections it took me months to find a vet that would prescribe it all the other vets just told me he needed to be pts, well id like them all to see him now :evil:
It sounds really bad when the vets give you bad news and even worse when they wont help you but seeing Alfie now with all his problems proves its worth trying
Hope Zeubin can get the help Alfie has x

Hi Veronica
Sorry about your bunny. It was discovered my bunny had an abcess and infection at the tooth root, just last week. The vet said she was a severe case too, although he did not mention that the bone was infected yet, but did warn me that it could happen and eventually the lump would become really big. For now, the abcess has been drained and we are fighting infection with baytril and having metacam for pain relief, unfortunately the prognosis is not good for her in the long term, but it was encouraging to be told that if she can get over the infection, she will be able to be monitored and should be able to carry on ok. She is very hungry at the moment and is only able to eat moist pellets and tiny cut up cucumber and apple.

I wish you and your bunny all the best and hope that he will be able to carry on with you for a while yet.

Take care and best wishes.
XX

Back