• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Awful Pet Shop - Concerned about Welfare of Bunny

AliBenMummy

Mama Doe
Hi there,

I visited a pet shop in Kendal today, not sure if I should put the name on here. I was very concerned when I saw a large bunny in a glass enclosure, the same as they keep hamsters in at Pets at Home only bigger. There were lights shining down on him and almost no ventilation apart from some holes drilled at the top. There was a full bowl of rabbit mix but no hay. The bun was on sawdut that was soiled with poo.

As if this wasn't bad enough, this bun is not a baby. I couldn't put an age on it, but it was as big as Benny. It wasn't a large breed, but I know it was older because it was going through a moult and looked like a lionhead but wasn't...just because of all the hair that was half out.

I really wanted to say something to the owner but wasn't sure how that would be taken. I'm going to write a letter to her and contact the RSPCA to let them know what I have seen.

Does anyone else live in this area? It's about 40 miles from where I live as we were there for the day, so it's not easy for me to check it out to see if anything has been done. If anyone does live around and about, please PM me and I will let you know the name of the shop.

I am very concerned for this bun and I would have loved to take him home with me, but I really don't have the room.

I guess I'm asking what else I can do for this poor bun, other than write a letter to the shop and contact the RSPCA. There was a baby bun in there living in the same conditions with a guinea pig too but as it's a baby it probably wouldn't be there for long. I'm concerned that the older bun has been in there for months and has never seen grass or had a cuddle. I can't put the little fella out of my mind and I want to do all I can for him.

Hope you can help...

Gemma

I would contact the local enviromental health about it. They might be able to help.
Enviromental health has to give them a licience to sell animals.

Hi there,

I've called the RSPCA welfare line and they are going to send someone round to check this chappie out.

I will also give the environmental health a call on Monday to let them know about his awful living conditions.

Gemma

Back