• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poor Lucky

ben_19

Young Bun
Hello to you all, you may or may not remember me and my dawrf rabbit Lucky, she had one of her rear legs amputated about 9 month ago after being attacked off a cat. Well she improved smashingly and adapted really well to the missing leg and began to live the rest of her life in happiness.

I just recently moved her hutch into the shed for the colder nights ciming in and insulated it, however when i went to see her yesterday i noticed she was not using her back leg properly. I cut her nails the other day and as far as i was aware i done a pretty good job. I am lead to think it might have something to do with this as to why she is having trouble using it.

However, i had a look at her this afternoon and ive had a good feel around the joint and all the bones and i cant see or feel any obvious fractures / pain. However, just above the outside toe on her right back foot is a little bump which i am a bit concerned about, i fear she might have broke/fractured one of her toes if not i dont know whats wrong with her. I really hope it isnt because to be honest i dont really want to put her through another operation.

Im going to leave her for a couple of nights and see if it is just a reaction to my nail cutting technique, i hope it is. If not im afraid Euthanasia might be the only option, its so sad as well because she defied the odds when she had her leg removed! (Now i think of it, one of the nurses off here was her nurse when she had her leg removed). I will keep you all updated. She doesnt seem to be in too much pain and she seems happy enough in herself but i dont know if a fractured to will mend itself or not. Only time will tell

Lucky:

lucky3.jpg

If you didn't cut the quick when you cut her nails - ie there was no blood - then you cutting her nails shouldn't affect her that much. Can you not take her to the vet and get their advice on what might be causing the problem? I'm not sure why Pts is an option here as if the toe is broken surely it can be fixed?

Yeah, im just afraid he might suggest pts as when she had her leg removed he warned me that should anything happen to her other leg which might affect her mobility then there really would be no other option because of the strain that is being put on this one foot, in a normal four legged rabbit i dont think it would matter much. When i cut her nails, one of the ones on her back leg she did jump but im not sure if it was this particular toe or not

She will be going to the vets if it doesnt improve in the next couple of days.

Back