• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Missing Rabbit!!!

unalakey

Mama Doe
Got up this morning and looked out of my window and i knew straight away something was wrong! The water bottle was in the middle of the garden. Went out to the playhouse and the attached run was slightly pulled away from playhouse leaving a small gap. Lily was in the playhouse but Billy is missing!!! Searched everywhere and cannot find him. He cant get out of the garden as it is totally enclosed, no access from front only through the house, we have no back street as school at back with high solid wall. There was a small amount of blood in the playhouse and Lily's nails look all scrapped with blood in like she's had a fight with something. I fear the worse for Billy :cry: We have a bench in the garden and i think he may have jumped over in fright into next doors garden, have searched the neighbourhood and phoned the RSPCA. Any suggestions??? Children and myself are worried out of our minds. We live in Bolton.

maybe a fox?? but suprised they would have left one, secure the run though as they may be back sorry but foxes will given the chance, soory for your loss :cry: :cry: and hope he does turn up

Oh no, every bunny owners nightmare, so so sorry for you. Is it possible a fox got in and took him? Just thought with you mentioning blood and the fact the run had been pulled away?

Really sorry to hear about it :cry:

So sorry to hear this.

I dont want to upset you, but it does sound like a fox attacked them. That is exactly what happened to my rabbits- the fox pulled the run away from the play house and then killed them. But it left their bodies.
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Perhaps he managed to get away tho? I hope he turns up.
I would for now, bring Lily inside as I've heard that they come back and she will be really scared, even if it cant get to her. or at the least close access to the run.

So sorry, I know how awful it is :( :( :( xx

Oh no how awful! I hate to say it but it does sound very much like the work of a fox, especially as there are signs of blood :cry: So I would suggest assuming that it was a fox and taking action to prevent it from coming back and getting the other.

Somehow permanently attaching the run to the playhouse is an absolutely urgent requirement, otherwise it will most likely be back tonight for the other one :cry: Ideally I'd bring the remaining bun in for a few nights, so that if the fox does come back, it won't be able to find her. If you can't do that, please make sure the run is very securely attached, that she has bolt holes to run into, and ideally completely cover the run over for a while. What type of mesh does the run have? If it isn't strong weld mesh, I'd suggest shutting her into the playhouse overnight until you are able to get it reinforced.

Obviously I really do hope that you manage to find your bun, but by the sound of it, he has been taken by a fox and so it's vital to make sure the other one is as protected as possible. Big hugs to you, you must be feeling absolutely awful :cry:

Yes, sounds like a fox, stray dog or a marten maybe, but martens don't normally come into towns over here, I think. Unfortunately the chances for him to survive a fox attack are quite slim, but maybe he was lucky and managed to escape. Good luck.

How has your other bun been overnight? I woke up thinking of you and your poor missing bun, sending hugs xx

Thanks to you all!!! I didnt get much sleep last night either :( I slept in my son's bed (overlooking garden) all night with the window open (freezing) but nothing came back. Lily stayed in the shed all night, she dosent seem to want to go in her playhouse. The blood seemed to have come from Lily's nails, as it had been raining i think it looked much worse and had spread. Whatever it was Lily did put up a fight. If it was a fox would he have been able to jump over the fence with Billy? He is a big rabbit and quite heavy. I'm (hoping) that Billy has just managed to hop on the bench and jump over into next doors garden and someone will find him. Making posters today to put up in the local shops. He was a stray when we found him across the road, just hoping he comes back or someone finds him, its the not knowing thats hard. I keep thinking he's missed two breakfast's and two tea's now :cry: The run on the playhouse is very strong, my husband made it and it is really heavy, we cant understand how something moved it,cos we struggle when cleaning it out. I also have guinea pigs in an enclosure( two hutches in a large covered run) which is not as strong as the rabbit run and this has not been disturbed.
Kayj have you any more idea's on who i could contact in Bolton if he is picked up? Thankyou Unalakey :cry:

Have you put posters up around the local streets. If he has escaped and someone found him would they know where to return him?

Tell your neighbours what happened just so word of mouth gets round if a bun is found.

A friend of mine had 2 of their rabbits escape and although 1 returned by itself the other was found a few streets away several days (may have been over a week later) - unharmed.

I really hope you find him!!

Hi, I have told the neighbours and i am making posters to put up in the shops locally and to post through doors, i live on a main road and that worries me. Its horrible not to know what's happened to him, I cant concentrate on anything else. :(

Thanks Raine. My son is posting posters through people's doors at the moment. I have just contacted the local animal shelter who do not take rabbits in only cats and dogs, they give me a number for another rescue in a nearby town who take rabbits in, i have phoned them but the snotty woman said ' we have no rabbits in at the moment and people dont tend to bring rabbits in if they find them, they just leave them' Is this true?

I think it depend on the person as to whether rabbits are just left or not. Anyone who knows about rabbits I would expect would not want it left around to fend for itself.

I found a rabbit wandering around our street one evening but I had a good idea who it belonged to. I was highly tempted to keep it as I knew it lived in a small hutch but I woke the neighbour up and gave it back.

One of our buns is a stray that was handed into our local pet stop.

You are doing everything you can and I fully understand that its the only thing on your mind at the moment.

I will keep positive thoughts going in your direction!

Thankyou for your positive thoughts :D I will try the RSPCA again tomorrow as that is where i rang when i found Billy in the first place.He is so much part of the family we are all feeling the loss :(

Back