• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mites

Sarah_Jane

Alpha Buck
Hello everyone!

I used to have problems with Charlie and small mites, the vet told me it was common for the mites to come off the hay, and obviously I dont want to cut out the hay! He had 3 injections then was ok.

I have noticed now both my rabbits have them again, what is best to do? If I go an get them injected the mites will come back from the hay?

Change Hay suppliers?

Sorry not very helpful. :roll:

I've only had one instance of Hay Mites and they were Cheyletellia (sp?), I've never seen them again :?

Hi Gem, thanks for the reply!

Yes I shall change it and see how it goes I think.

Does anyone know if it will do any harm if I dont get the mite injection?

If they have got mites I would still get them treated - otherwise you could just be reinfecting the hay you have put in the hutch, then the mites will get into the cracks in the wood, and reinfect the next batch of hay...etc...etc...etc... There is a spot-on product that can be used for mites instead of the injections now too, but I'd definitely pop them up the vets. Recurrent mites can also be a sign of a rabbit that is slightly under the weather (e.g. dipped immune system, or dental problems so not grooming properly) so there's no harm in gettting the vet to give them a thorough MOT at the same time as treating them. Hopefully it should solve itself by changing hay though - I'd try and change hay/thoroughly clean the hutch (including using one of the hutch sprays which kill mites) and treating the rabbits, all pretty much at the same time, otherwise it could just end up in a cycle of reinfection.

They are Fur mites which tend to be on the back.

Thanks for your advise Alison, I wouldn't want to use Spot on as they both groom each other alot, and I found it wasn't too affective before.

My vet told me that the mites have a 21 day life span, so I am hoping they will die off and I shall change the hay. At the moment I use Pets at Home own brand which is dust free.

Thank you for your advice :)

My Bundle had trouble with mites too - she first got them after having her first big moult. My vet told me that fur mites lie dormant in all rabbits and that any sort of stressful thing can bring them out, and apparently a severe moult is stressful.

She was treated with Ivermectin drops once a week for 3 weeks and this cleared them up. I also thoroughly disinfected her house and everywhere she goes in our house, and sprayed round with Acclaim Plus that is used for treating the environment when dogs and cats get fleas etc. Bundle was fine for over a year then they came back again after another heavy moult, so rather than stress her out taking her to the vet I persuaded them to let me have some of the stuff and dose her at home (as I used to be a vet nurse they agreed although most vets insist on seeing the bunny).

Touch wood it has been over a year and they haven't recurred (fingers crossed) :wink:

On another note - Bundle seems to have been moulting continuously for months now - every time I cuddle her I get covered in hair!! She hates to be groomed too :roll: Does anyone have any suggestions for making grooming easy? Every time she sees the comb or brush she scarpers and just won't sit still for anything :evil: so I'd love to know how everyone else does it.......

Thanks, Vicki.

Back