• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Splayed back legs - help

Towsbuns

Mama Doe
I went into the buns shed this morning to find Harmony is hardly moving, her back legs are sort of splayed out, she does seem to be able to move them but limited - she still wants to eat and I have given her a bowl of water. I wonder whether she may have twisted her back or maybe she is missing a nutrient or something. I am sure Denny's bun had something similar so I have pm's her to ask.
Any advice or help much appreciated. I will be out for a couple of hours this afternoon - taking daughter to Brownie Holiday but will respond and check on messages as soon as I get back.
Thanks in advance - I am really worried about her....

Hello. I would take her to the vet today as if she has twisted her back it can cause inflammation and nerve damage. It may also be worth having an x-ray taken in case she has broken it or slipped a disk. The vet will be able to give her a steroid injection which will reduce inflammation and may help if its just twisted. It may also be a symtom of E.Cuniculli but I think its more likely she has damaged her back some how if its happened suddenly.
I hope she is better soon,
Emily

Have you got any panacur? If you can't get to a vet I'd be inclined to start a course of panacur as it could well be EC and if so the sooner treatment is started the better. I guess a trip to the vet is obviously the first port of call but if they can't find anything obviously wrong, I'd definitely suspect EC.

Hope Harmony is ok xx

Thanks all - she does seem to be a bit improved, she has seen a vet and been given painkiller, not our usual vet but one closer. She is eating and appears less splayed and a bit perkier. I have separated her from the others to keep a closer eye on her and to enable her to eat at her own pace. Let's hope she has a good night.

Hi Towsbuns.... hope she's OK.
Did the Vet give any indication as to what he/she thought may be amiss?

Good luck with Harmony, keep us posted

She thinks that she may have just twisted her back a bit. Harmony is much improved. She still needs building up but is no longer sitting splayed and looks alot brighter.

Towsbuns said:
She thinks that she may have just twisted her back a bit. Harmony is much improved. She still needs building up but is no longer sitting splayed and looks alot brighter.
Good news - keep up the good work Harmony :D

Thanks - Harmony is so much better so I have put her back in with Homey and Azlan as I didn't want to keep them separated for too long - she still needs building up so I have put the indoor cage into the shed and intend to put her in there overnight so I can give her extra food and vitamins - otherwise I will still have a skinny Harmony but an obese Honey!!

Julie I'm so sorry that I've missed this topic.

You should have rung me :no: anyway glad to hear she on the mend. :) anything I can do give me a shout, I'll be seeing you over the weekend anyway won't I. :D so if you have any concerns we can always run though them then.

No worries Tracy - Denny has been a star. It sounded similar to the issues that she had with Marcel and I knew she had been given some recommendations from Bob on WO but with that now being a private forum I was unable to get on and get the information, thankfully, Denny was online at just the right time otherwise, yes, you would have had a call....

Back