• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Care Questions

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
Do I need to worm my bunny???? Also, how long after neutering can I introduce another bunny and does the second bunny also need to be neutered? Pickle is male and I want a lady bunny for him.

I would neuter bunny and as soon as he's healed up - 10 days or so, he could be bonded with a spayed bunny, if you look in rescue centres you'll be able to find a spayed bun and they'll help with bonding. If you need to spay your bun he'll need to be kept away until he's firing blanks, not sure how long that is but I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell you. Some people successfully bond a neutered male with an unspayed female but girls can be very territorial and hormonal

Neutered males can still get intact girls pregnant up to six weeks. I think the actual length of time is usually less, but six weeks is the ultimate safe period. If you haven't yet got the girlie he is going to live with I'd wait just to be on the safe side. You can pair him up with an unneutered girl but getting your girl spayed is better for her both hormonally and health wise and this being the case it is recommended you keep a newly spayed female away from other rabbits for ten days to give her time to heal. So, if you can, I think the best option would be to get an already spayed female so you don't have to worry about keeping them apart for this length of time if you don't have the space. I don't know what length of time you need to keep a newly neutered male away from a spayed female is as kayjay reckons ten days but my vet said three?

Back