• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How long before I should expect improvement?

Bonniebunny

Warren Scout
Hi My bunny had her teeth rasped wednesday and it was also discovered she had root infection. I've been giving her the required medication to deal with. I must say her eating is very, very slowly getting better, but at the moment I am moistening the pellets, cutting up soft veggies so tiny and she is just about managing. She seems keen to eat, but is still backing away from anything requiring more effort. She must still feel uncomfortable.

Anyone have any experience on how long if ever, or how long I should give it before she will return to eating things in the "hard" form or whether this is how she will have to have her food from now on? I don't want her to become used to eating soft/easy stuff but am keen to keep her gut moving, which it seems to be at present.
These bunnies will worry me to death!!
xx

Hi there. Sorry no replies have come along yet and thanks loads for replying to my post the the other day. I had two buns who had dental work done on Monday and I posted concerns about Nell who wasn't eating hay or pellets.

I took a trip to the vet today all set to have an xray done but we decided against it. Its a hard call to know when to get concerned and my vet reassured me that all bunnies are different. He said that bunnies could possibly get some pain following the procedure, maybe around their jaw or if their gum margins got rubbed or cut just a little.

I think its good that you are seeing progress, albeit slow. I am seeing some progress with Nell though still no blooming hay! I supsect that if it lasts more than a week it might be worth getting her checked out. Are you giving her any pain relief just in case it could be a little pain causing her to swerve certain foods? You're right though, the important thing is to keep her guts moving and keep her spirits up. Would she manage some freshly cut grass too? Maybe sprinkling some Biolapis probiotic on the food she is eating would help the bacteria in her tummy whilst she is not eating as much. My Nell likes a little rolled oats (porridge oats) which are very very very fattening but I don't feel so bad about just a small pinch or two when she is under the weather.

Sorry if this advice is no use, as you sound like you have everything sorted.

I completely understand, as we all do, about the worry that these bunnies cause. I can honestly say that I have found it so difficult to sleep for the last month and when I do get to sleep I dream about them!

Best wishes to you and your bunny and please update us tomorrow (Saturday) if/when you get a chance.

Fiona x

Hi Fiona
Hope your little nell is improving.

Bonnie is not making much progress I'm afraid. She still seems to be drooling at times and seems very down in the dumps. I am still trying to encourage her to eat on her own and she will take tiny bits of apple and cucumber, with some moistened pellets, but I've notice the poos are getting smaller now which is very worrying. She has been given metacam for pain relief as well as baytril 0.5ml 2 x a day. I do have an appt with the vet on wednesday as a follow up, but will probably bring this forward to monday.

It is such a shame, she is the loveliest bunny you could ever wish for, affectionate, intelligent and a real person bunny. She's about 5, I rescued her summer 2005, she's the nicest natured bunny I've ever had. I am dreading the outcome if I can' t get her over this. What a nightmare.

Hope you are having some good luck with your bun.
xx

I think going to the vet's on Monday is a good idea. Even if it is to put your mind at rest. Please keep trying to get her to eat. Sa Fiona said grass might be a good idea.

Keep us posted.

Hi there. I just wondered how your bunny is doing now? Did you bring her appointment forward to today?

Hope all is well.

Back