• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bowden closing its doors

raine

Warren Veteran
I have just read on fundraising that Bowden are having to close because of lack of funds, they will just continue with their resident buns. I find this so sad that you have someone who is so dedicated to the plight of animals in this country and cannot continue because of money. Is there no funding. Why is no lottery money available to rescues? I am going to write and find out.

That is so sad. I agree, all those millions going to one person which is really greedy when some could be shared out to rescues. They certainly need it :(

This might be controversial, but what if you only took rabbits in whose owners paid you for neutering and jabs? I know generally that rescues don't insist on this because there is always the thought they will let the rabbit loose or pts. But, if you are having to close your doors, is it not an idea to say I am only accepting rabbits with a donation of £50.

If you continue or restart after a break, I will sponsor a rabbit for you.

raine said:
This might be controversial, but what if you only took rabbits in whose owners paid you for neutering and jabs? I know generally that rescues don't insist on this because there is always the thought they will let the rabbit loose or pts. But, if you are having to close your doors, is it not an idea to say I am only accepting rabbits with a donation of £50.

If you continue or restart after a break, I will sponsor a rabbit for you.

i have never meet anyone that was willing to pay £50 to a rescue to "dump" a rabbit, well maybe thats because i am down south and they are tight round here :lol: :lol: , and most people wont give you that for a neutered and fully vaccinated rabbit :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :cry: i make a big loss on most of the rabbits i get in WITH a donation that alone all the freeadd bunnies i take or bunnies with no donations at all, which for me has been most ect...pippa and family :roll: , oxford lops, freeads, strays and dumps at the vets....

i feel for bowdens as i is really hard to make ends meet, i think the goverment need to start making breeding in ALL forms harder and take some responsibilty for pet shops selling animals...

I must say that it is hard to run a rescue and I can understand where katie is coming from as you have to make all your own funds, etc and are also expected to neuter. vaccinate and when you first start you cannot do this, I struggle and I have been doing this for fair while now and at the moment it is a battle to keep going adn I have handfeeding babies at the moment on top of everything

elaine said:
I must say that it is hard to run a rescue and I can understand where katie is coming from as you have to make all your own funds, etc and are also expected to neuter. vaccinate and when you first start you cannot do this, I struggle and I have been doing this for fair while now and at the moment it is a battle to keep going adn I have handfeeding babies at the moment on top of everything

PERSONALLY if you go into it with your eyes open you have to expect the bills i had help with 6 bunnies at the beggining but have neutered and fully vacd from day one! and most of those first six bunnies didnt get rehomed until recently so werent help at the time. but admit it is a sruggle at the best of times but the day io can no longer afford to neuter and vac will be day that i also give up as i couldnt do it any other way!

bunnylove said:
elaine said:

PERSONALLY if you go into it with your eyes open you have to expect the bills i had help with 6 bunnies at the beggining but have neutered and fully vacd from day one! and most of those first six bunnies didnt get rehomed until recently so werent help at the time. but admit it is a sruggle at the best of times but the day io can no longer afford to neuter and vac will be day that i also give up as i couldnt do it any other way!

I agree, with all the myxi about, if it got into a rescue it would be catastrophic :( I know it must be really really hard to refuse bunnies but perhaps some rescues take on too many, and should only take on the amount they can afford to raise funds for for neutering and vaccinating? As I said, I know with all the buns coming in at the moment, it's almost impossible to say no, but maybe that's what you need to do instead of taking more in.

kayjay said:
bunnylove said:
elaine said:

I agree, with all the myxi about, if it got into a rescue it would be catastrophic :( I know it must be really really hard to refuse bunnies but perhaps some rescues take on too many, and should only take on the amount they can afford to raise funds for for neutering and vaccinating? As I said, I know with all the buns coming in at the moment, it's almost impossible to say no, but maybe that's what you need to do instead of taking more in.

agree with this 100%

I also agree 100% with sticking to your limit and although I have gone over by a few buns I do think small rescues going over, say 30 animals, will struglle to both make ends meet and give the bunnies the proper amount of care without burning yourself out.

I hope Bowden does restart , maybe on a smaller scale, as you have done such good work ad will be missed.

honeybunny said:
I also agree 100% with sticking to your limit and although I have gone over by a few buns I do think small rescues going over, say 30 animals, will struglle to both make ends meet and give the bunnies the proper amount of care without burning yourself out.

Limits :?: Sticking to them :?: Oh, small rescues, that isn't me then :wink:

Burn out? How does anyone find the time to do that :? :roll:
(Although when my sons woke me up 5 times last night and I was ranting at them they may have felt I was heading that way :oops: :oops: )

I'll concede the 7 white lops may have been a mistake, but when you see three rabbits in a three foot hutch with their testicles nearly removed by their brothers, one emaciated because his teeth are so bad he can't eat, another 2 yellow lads in a 2ft hutch and two young does living in a small run with their mother how can you leave them :? Of course I shouldn't have gone over there in the first place but when she said they needed treatment a warning bell rang loudly in my head. I have turned down another 15 rabbits since then :cry: So many all of a sudden :cry: And piggies :cry:

Somehow I am finding the money to sort them all out, not sure how, but it is happening. But with all the babies (30 of them :shock: ) reaching an age to be neutered......doesn't bear thinking about. But no way can I stop, too much need, and I have a credit card afterall :wink: :roll: I could do with some more fundraising though.....as could we all :?

Yes I know it is difficult Louise..Tammy came in after I had told her owner "no" ,because I heard someone in the background say "well we'll just have to get rid of it then" :evil: so I quickly said I'd squeeze her in..

but the point I'm making is there are sadly always more needing a space and you do need to have a limit for yourself..financially and physically.....I've seen several rescues where people have started with good intentions, not been able to say no and then the buns are, in some cases, no better off than where they were taken from.

Also WE ALL need funds ..my bills have been horrendous in the last 6 months...and I am a small rescue so I can imagine the size of the larger rescue's bills :shock: ...but there is a limit to the amount people can keep giving.

Anyway back to Bowden....please reconsider rescuing on a very small scale even 2 buns at a time is 2 that are safe...Whatever you decide I wish you well xx

Back