• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbits in the rain - is this normal ?

I've been trying to get my rabbits used to living in a hutch again after being freerange in the garden since May

They hate it, they stopped eating, and just sit there starring at me, and growling every so often

I opened the hutch door and let them out and they were binkying and happy, their appetite also returned

I am happy for them to be free range, but with the heavy rainfall last night, I noticed they were drenched, and am worried that they will get ill

They have access to 2 hutches and a shed, whose doors are alway open with plenty of dry hay, but they NEVER go there, prefering to be under the bushes getting wet

Is this normal ?

Rabbit's can cope fine with the rain although they should have access to shelter incase they want to. I'd be more worried about foxes who will be getting hungrier as winter progresses. The can clear 6' fences, dig underneath and are active in urban areas as much as rural. Most people don't realise they have them in their area until after they lose a rabbit.

When you say putting them in the hutch, does it have an exercise run? If not they might be objecting the the small area. How about converting your shed so they have access to that and perhaps the hutches inside too. If you're feeling very adventurous with the DIY then adding on a run would give them more space whilst keeping them safe.

Best wishes,
Tamsin

the shed is a full size shed so there is plenty of space

the hutch is also a double decker with a sizeable run

they were also house rabbits for a while with the run of the house

but in all situations they got the grumps

they only like free range

I did think about building a huge aviary for them, but I would still have the problem of them sitting in the rain

Mine sit in the rain all the time, their coats are a bit like ducks feathers, they look soaking on the top but actually it's dry under the surface. As long as they have somewhere to get out of it if they want, they will be fine. I would go with building an aviary - as Tam said, often the first time you know a fox is in the area is when you find a dead bunny. That's what happened to me a few years ago; I had had free range bunnies for 7 years in that house before it happened, so thought I was safe because 'there weren't any foxes'. You could always cover an aviary with something (e.g. corrugated roof, tarpaulin etc) if you were still worried about them sitting in the rain.

Mine are also happy to sit in the rain.

As I understand you, your rabbits are free to come and go day and night? Could you not get them into the run/hutch at night so that they have a certain amount of free choice (i.e. in the run or in the hutch), them add the garden to their area during the day only? This would keep them safe at night. This is what we do.

Routine, a 'clicker' and some treats are a good encouragement for getting them back into the run each night!

I would go for adding a nice large run for them.

I understand they're used to being free range, but for their safety it is much better. I lost two rabbits to a fox, and I truly was utterly devastated and will never forget the awful sight and shock of finding their bodies :cry: :cry: :cry:

I believed there were no foxes in my area and my stupidity meant my beautiful babies died :cry: :cry: :cry: . Since then I have seen the fox twice in my garden in the middle of the day, so they are never ever safe.

Mine are a couple of wimps, as they hate the rain! They will go upstairs and sulk in their hutch, while their run is covered by a tarp, so not even getting very wet!

I am concerned about foxes, but...

a) a dog fox would make short work of the mesh on most hutches, then the buns would be trapped inside, in the garden they have plenty of hiding places that a fox can't go

b) the buns hate the hutch, and trying to catch them each day is impossible, and when I see their sad little faces, I can't help but want to let them out

c) inside, they don't eat, and pine to be let out

what do I do ?

the shed is the safest place (apart from indoors), but fifi started digging in the shed (gravel floor), within 2 days she would have got out anyway

I don't catch the rabbits, it would be impossible for me also - but generally round them up.

They are not fed during the day, other than grass they graze on and hay in the hutch if they want it. But they know that they will get a treat at dusk. This gives them the incentive to return!

Back