• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

flystrike

cheekytikki

Wise Old Thumper
just had a card thgrough saying that teegra's myxi booster is due next month and with it they have included a leflet about 'rearguard' anyone tried/use this?? apparently it protects your bunny against flystrike for ten weeks (with one drop on treatment) by preventing the maggots 'developing into the harmful larval stages'. if it is any good i will find out the price when i take teegs to get his booster done, im guessing it is still worth getting done for house buns?!?!

abi
teegra and duchess

Some people do use it, if you do a search on rearguard you should turn some things up. It's a bit like one of those squeezy shoe polish thingies, you squeeze it out of a tube onto the sponge at the end and apply it all over the back end of your bun until they are soaking wet!

Some people use it routinely - personally I would only use it if a bun is high risk (e.g. arthritic, excess caecatrophs for some reason, unable to clean backsides, etc) because although it is great and I have seen dead fly eggs on a rearguarded bun, it is still a toxic chemical and I wouldn't want to routinely apply that to my buns unless I really needed to. Flies are usually (there are exceptions!) only attracted to wet, dirty places to lay their eggs. Personally I don't think it is any substitute for a good hygiene routine, regular cleaning, and regular all over bun checks. Equally I am sure other people will tell you that they use it on their healthy buns as an extra precaution :wink:

ok thanks i agree about the hygiene and cleaning (especially when they live in my bedroom lol :shock: :lol: ) i am just a paranoid bunny mummy and was wondering if it was something i should be doing that i wasnt (thought it might be like frontlining the dogs)

thank again
abi
teegra and duchess

mine is in a spray bottle, you just spray it on, i was given it by the vet for my old rabbit, he was old and smelly :lol: but we never got to use it so its unopened, so haven't tried it, but the tutors and vets at college say its exellent stuff :)

I used it on Winston afer Lilly had to be pts from fly strike. I doesnt cost much, and even though there is a lot in the bottle and they do get soaked, I think its well worth it just for the piece of mind. With fly strike you just want to do everything possible to prevent it, especialy in summer so I say go for it. Plus, I think Winston enjoyed having it put on, nice and cooling for his bits when it gets too warm :wink:

Back