• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

in and out

youngbunny2

Mama Doe
I have 2 little 9 week old bunnies which were handed in at my vets and we offered them a home.They are outside during the day in their hutch/run but i am a bit of a softy with babies and bring them in at night.Will it make a difference to them making a winter coat if they keep having a different temperature?

I think it will yes.If they are going to be outdoor bunnies they should be out now so they can get their winter coats.
They will be fine outside with plenty of hay and straw.

Hi there

My bunnies live half in half out (they're in a hutch in the garden when we're asleep or out and free in the house/garden when we're around) and they definitely have NO trouble moulting and growing summer/winter coats!

One of my rabbits seems to moult a lot, but his coat gets lovely and thick.

I suppose with baby rabbits you should just make sure not to swing from very warm to very cold as it could maybe shock them.

Hope this helps!

Anna x

I wouldn't bring them in and out during this time of year and especially as it gets colder. As well as affecting how well your rabbits grow their winter coats the temperature change is also really bad for them, much worse than being in constant cold.

Back