• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing - need help to make a decision

tigerbabe

Mama Doe
I now have an 8x6 shed sat out the garden waiting to be put up.

My dad has a brick shed which I don't have the measurements for but it's big.

I have to decide which would be better for rabbits to live in.

The downside to the new wood shed is it'll be at the far end of the garden and won't have electricity. But I'll hopefully work out a way of them being able to move between the shed and run when they like.

The brick shed is up by the house and has electricity, but it has a concrete floor and I'd have to carry the buns back and forth to the outside run.

Which would be better?? What do you think??

The only thing putting me off the brick shed is that anything that's put on the floor gets damp and mouldy. I'm abit worried about it causing health problems :?

my group of 4 girls live in a brick shed next to the house. It's perfect, in spite of the damp - I leave the window a little ajar all the time (except when it's freezing) and it's fine - although everything used to go mouldy in there, and there is so much green algae growing on the walls (bleach resistant! :x ) that it looks awful! They are very happy and healthy there, and in this hot summer we've had, the concrete floor was literally a life-saver I think - they would have roasted alive in a wooden shed.

I have big litter trays in each corner of the shed, a patio chair which they sit on, and nothing on the concrete floor - I just sweep up a couple times a week and it's fine - trays get cleaned 3 times a week.

When it's really cold I put a large piece of vet bed type stuff on the floor for them to snuggle on, as well as all the hay in the trays.

Great having electricity too - it's dark now and I've got the bunnies to lock up in the rain :roll:

Can you work out why the brick shed is mouldy. Might be quite cheap to patch it up a bit. If it's big then perminant access to a run isn't as important and electricity would be handy in winter when it's dark mornin/evening.

Tam

I re-tarred the flat roof to my shed, but the soil level outside is about a foot up the inside wall of the shed at the back, and impossible to remove (coal bunker on top) so it's always cold - the damp is condensation - it drips off the ceiling in winter as the ceiling is so cold and the bunnies give off warm, damp breath etc. It doesn't seem to bother them anyway, and the trays etc are plastic, so they don't go mouldy.

Looks like it's the brick shed then :lol:

The gound level is raised on either side of the shed so that might be what causes it. It's only a problem when something permanently covers the floor, and it's more of a problem in certain areas so I used to avoid putting anything on those bits of the floor.

I used to have rabbits living in there, we used to put a couple of carpet squares on the floor for them and just chuck them out and buy new ones when they started to get abit damp. And they'll have places they can go off the floor so I guess it shouldn't be a problem.

It's bigger than the wooden shed as well so I might (with the help of my lovely dad :wink: ) be able to divide it into 2 decent living spaces at some point.

Theres just a couple more bits that need doing to finish off the new shed and then I'll be able to move everything out of the brick one and get it sorted for my first foster bunnies... I'm so excited!

Back