• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Manic digging

Wizbit

Alpha Buck
For about the last 3 weeks Daisy has been digging away in her plastic cage. Usually either at 4am or last thing at night - both times when they are naturally more active. I just wondered if anyone had any ideas about what I can do for her. Do many people have problems with digging buns? I feel upset for her cos she seems so desperate to dig a hole poor little girl. But when I put her outside in her run she doesn't dig :roll: Any help would be much appreciated, husband is getting fed up of having his sleep disturbed!!! :lol: I should also say that she and Bertie are not cage bound, they have a play pen attached to their cage so they have the whole room to play in.

Hi there,

Nor sure what the solution is, but Benny has been doing the same for a few weeks. He's dug 3 massive holes in the garden! Luckily he can't actually dig to anywhere, but it's almost obsessive. As soon as he's free in the garden, he goes to his hole and digs even deeper.

I've tried filling them in and was surprised at just how much soil he'd actually shifted...but he just goes and has digs them again!

Maybe it's the time of year?

out of my 7 adult buns, only one of them is a digger. And hes only started a few weeks ago. It MUST be the time of year. Me thinks its cause its they have noticed its getting colder and their instinic is telling to dig themselves a lovely borrow to snuggle in to. Bless'em!

m
xx

Mine have been digging a lot recently, but I think only because Ive been digging the garden and loosened the soil. She doesnt dig in her run, or in other parts of the garden, only when the soil has been freshly turned over. Once she does start it seems to become addictive and quite frantic.

If you want to encourage digging in a certain place, for example her run instead of plastic pen maybe you could try loosing or digging over some soil where you think would be safe for them to dig?

my buns like to dig so i have given them a digging box (mine is filled with child play sand but soil would also work) lol it started off as a litter tray but has grown to a 80 x 50cm plastic cage tray) they love to dig, play and sleep in there and in the summer dig teegra used to dig a well into the cold sand and flop his belly in there lol

here is a piccie of my buns digging box (i hide toys and treats in there to encourage them to dig there)

DSCF4080.jpg

EDIT: it is in need of topping up at the moment it usually has much deeper sand
lol and i didnt put the willow sticks in there apparently that is where they 'belong' :lol:

abi
teegra and duchess

Benny's digging seems quite random because he's chosen different parts of the garden. I've tried putting boxes of hay and paper in for him to rummage about it, but he completely ignored it. It seems he'll only dig where there's lots of lovely dirty mud...oh, and lovely clean white Alice follows him down the hole.

I think they're trying to set up home together!

Any ideas on how to contain it to just one part of the garden? We're trying to sell the house and big bunny holes aren't making the garden look too attractive!

Thanks for all your replys guys, it seems like it maybe the time of year then if others buns have only recently starting manic digging too! Daisy has never been a digger until now.

Abi - where did you get that massive box that the sand is in please, I think I am going to try that to see if it helps :roll:

that one is the bottom of my old rat cage im sure you can buy spare cage trays if not a large under bed storage box would also work.
dont forget to post piccies up of your buns digging :D

abi
teegra and duchess

Back