• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Adverse effects with panacur?

Nicola3

Mama Doe
Have any of you experienced adverse effects with panacur? I've been looking on the internet for info. I gave Harvey some not the w/e just gone but the one before that and he has been miserable since. I'm not sure whether it's the panacur or not. I've just rung the manufacturer, Intervet up to try and get some info re: possible side effects but am none the wiser really. All he could tell me was it wasn't licensed for use in rabbits.

All I could find on the internet was this awful story below about a girl from the States whose dog had died after having it:

Trudy
Apr 15 2003, 07:42 PM
Wild rabbits carry a ton of **** (not litteraly poop, but stuff!) in their gut.
This can often times cause dogs to pick up worms from the bunny poops if they eat enough of it.

2 of my parents dogs picked up worms, 2 of them eat bunny poop outside when they find it.
Both were treated with Panacur.
Both got very sick.
One died.
One almost died.
3rd dog didn't get worms, didn't get panacur, didn't get sick.

All 3 of my parents dogs get somewhat to very sick when they are given their heartworm stuff or flea/tic stuff.

By the sounds of it, the e-vet Logan went to on Saturday nigth was linking his sickness to the Panacur since he usually gets sick from wormers and stuff. The regular vet where Logan died on Sunday will not say it could have been the Panacur.
Logan was puking and walking to nowhere (disoriented) and I'm not sure what else.
Dexter woke my mom up super early (around 1AM) on Sunday puking and puked all morning long.
Logan was brought to the vet at 8:00 in the morning again for treatment with the regular vet. At 11:00 Dexter was seizing and also brought to the vet. At 1:00, my parents went back to the vet again to check on both dogs. Dexter came home around 8:00 that night and just had his IVs taken out today. Logan didn't come home - because he had died in the morning and my mom found him when she went in the kennel room to check on him AT the vet's. The 2 vets did not even notice Logan had long ago stopped breathing.

So, my parents are very confident Logan's death is related to the Panacur, but the vet will not confirm that (as far as I know, the vet my mom uses and had taken logan that morning, has yet to talk to her).

This is why I was looking for info on Panacur. I could only find info stating there were little to no side effects - puking was one. I was searching to see if any other dogs have had serious problems from its use, but found nothing.
I'm suggesting my mom submit both cases to the FDA as an adverse reaction form - even if the regular vet won't.

So, rabbit poop is likely not a problem for many of you as most of you seem to use heartworm prevention year round which usually will cover the other worms. My parents live in a climate where winters are severe and don't need ot use it year round... which means the rabbit poop worms weren't caught by the heart worm prevention meds.

I had a bad experience with one of my young boys after being wormed with Panacur.

It was his first time and he lost virtually everything, he was literally a bag of bones with a bit of fur :(

It took six months to get him back to full health, with heatpads, nursing and round the clock care.

But to look at him now, you wouldn't know he had ever been seriously ill.

Whether it was definately down to the Panacur, I guess I'll never know as I've stopped worming him and use Ivomec instead

Hi Gem,

Thanks very much for replying. I really appreciate it.

What kind of side effects did your little man experience? Did he look as though he was in pain?

My Harvey hid away and looked as though he was in pain. He was very miserable.

What kind of symptoms did your bun display? How long a dose did you give him and what amount. How long after giving him the panacur did you notice a change in him?

Soz for all the questions I'm just trying to figure out what wrong with my little man.

Thanks loads!!!
Big hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Disney is on Panacur at the moment. She has head tilt and this is one of the medicides the vet has given.

I think she has lost weight but in herself she seems fine.

Will let you know if any side effects kick in.

x

Hi Shellar,

Hopefully your little bun will be fine Shellar.

Sending lots of vibes your way.

Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Alfred had a 5 day course of it, at a huge dose - 6mls of the 2,5% soln, and he was absolutely fine..

jx

Hi J,

Did Alfred have the 2.5% solution or 25% solution?

My Harvey had the 10% solution.

Hugs,

Nic n Harv xxx

Hiya

The 2.5% soln is a quarter of the strength of the 10% soln, as Alfred had 6mls of the 2.5% soln, that would be the equivalent of 1.25mls of the 10% soln..

And he is only a mini lop - so not v big..

Jx

Nicola3 said:
What kind of side effects did your little man experience? Did he look as though he was in pain?

He lost weight virtually overnight, in the space of 6/7 hours he went from a healthy 2kg to half a kilo.

He was just a bag of bones

Nicola3 said:
What kind of symptoms did your bun display? How long a dose did you give him and what amount. How long after giving him the panacur did you notice a change in him?

He lost more than half his body mass, stopped eating, went into stasis, he was so lethargic he wouldn't eat and spent days lying with his eyes closed. He was always so cold, his little ears were freezing.

He was given 1ml of the 2.5% solution.

It took a week of intensive round the clock nursing before he began eating again by himself and six months before he was back to 2kg

He had Intravenous Fluids every three hours and a heat pad constantly.

Hope that helps Nicola, get well soon Harvey!!

Hi Gem,

Thanks for getting back to me. Soz, I was off work yesterday so unable to reply. I don't have a pc at home.

How awful for you and your poor little bun.

My Harvey has been laying with his eyes closed and his ears were also cold. He has been hiding away looking totally miserable and squinting his eyes up. He has been eating and drinking. Maybe some rabbits do not get on with this drug. Harvey is only a small bunny, about 1.3 kilos.

It's so awful when they hide away with their eyes closed. I feel so helpless and it literally makes me feel sick in the pit of my stomach.

Harv went to the vet yesterday and I have to keep an eye on him.

If anybody elses bun has had a bad reaction to panacur please let me know.

Lots of love,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Violet was on panacur but was so ill with head-tilt I doubt I would have noticed extra effects on her. Cosmos and now Adele have both been wormed with the EC dosage for panacur (one month on it) and had no adverse effects.

Caz

P.S. It is supposed to be taken with food as I think I read about it damaging the stomach lining or something - they got theirs on dried bread (how I give all oral medications), perhaps eating it with food helped negate any possible side-effects.

That's interesting Caz, as when I gave Alfred his I made a "mush" by adding water to some pellets, added the panacur, then about 1/2 a teaspoon of baby food, and he loved it..

Nicola - I hope Harvey is back to normal soon

Jx

Thanks everyone.

Caz, can you remember where you read about it irritating the stomach lining?

I wasn't told to give the panacur with food.

If you can find any info about panacur disrupting the stomach lining I would be very interested to read it and it may help me to figure out what is wrong with my little man.

Big hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

I thought it was in the pack info about cats/dogs but can't be sure (leaflet is at home and I am at work).

I tend to give all medications with food as mine are pain in the butts to medicate so may have got it confused with another drug.

Caz

Caz said:
I tend to give all medications with food as mine are pain in the butts to medicate so may have got it confused with another drug.

Same here :roll:

They'd eat anything in food :lol:

I've never been told to give in food either but Blue had his in Porridge :?

Back