• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Do you all.....

sharond

Warren Scout
use a product for fleas on your rabbit as a matter of routine? I have 2 cats and a dog who I use regular frontline flea treatment on, but i have never used anything on George. I have got some of the spot on treatment fro small Animals ( Bob Martin I think) but i am a bit scared to use it as I have seen on here that some buns can have adverse effects.

I don't see any sign of fleas on him, but just wondered should I be treating him regularly anyway?

Hi there I know its a tricky one, but my personal oppinion is if theres on sign of fleas then dont-just continue to check him over reguarly. I do use a flea collar on my dog, but in 3 years weve not had any sign of fleas so unless your other pets become infested I woundnt. I feel the same about worming treatments. Remember vets and pet shops make most of their money through scaremongering.
I wouldnt treat my kids every month for head lice just for the sake of it...id be asking questions about the chemical content.

I use the Bob Martin stuff on mine... makes the back of their necks wet for a couple of days but they were fine. If your worried can you test part of him with a couple of drops first? Think he'll be fine though :D

i have got a powder thing for mine just put a few 'puffs' on their fur and rub it in. it is a treatment but you can use it as a preventative aswell
they have never had fleas so not sure if it works or if they have never had the oppurtunity for fleas lol

abi
teegra and duchess

tobey used to have mites, and i thought about using a few drops of xenex (what the vet gave me for it) every month or so as a matter of routine to make sure they didn't come back, but then i thought about the fact that it is an insecticide and being in his system all the time can't be very good for him, so now i just keep checking him and will only use it if there are signs of mites... so i guess the same would be said for fleas.

Back