• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where do your bunnies live?

Just wondering really, our two live in the kitchen (its quite a large kitchen/diner). The reason they live in there now is that while Jessica was recovering from her spey and whilst I was bonding them, I kept them in the house where I could keep an eye on them.

Then didn't realise that they wouldn't grow a suitable winter coat to be put back outside in their hutch (which seems teeny compared to the kitchen!)

They are quite happy in there and they only get locked in the kitchen when we go to bed, and as I work from home they have free run of the whole house (3 x story town house) and garden (via the catflap). Basically they kinda live like our cats! They have litter trays and lots of toys in the kitchen to keep them amused at night.

Just wondered if anyone else's buns live like that, ie. not in a cage/hutch?

I LOVE that picture of Jessica :D

Mine have their own bedroom (I have a two bedroom house). It was meant as a guest room but then I decided to have house buns instead and make it into a BUNNY room ... much MUCH better!!

They have a 5ft hutch in there which they go in at night. This helps when they have to go to boarding they don't mind being shut away. When I am at home they have the run of the house also. During the day they have the whole bedroom with toys and play ramps, boxes and hideaways, tunnels, etc. It basically looks like a nursery! My b/f made a wood/mesh barricade so the bedroom door can be open but they can't get out.

I LOVE house buns and having them around me :D

What a lovely bunny life! Thats what I'm aiming for eventually but at the moment I have to put them in a giant dog cage when I'm out (they are systematically stripping the woodchip). Last time I left them out all day I came home to find Roxy emerging from behind the telly! It's blocked off but she'd had all day to think about it.

Teddy and Bertie have their own bedroom, and live in a 48" dog crate.

Benji lives in the hall way in a 48" dog crate, where he is soon to be joined with his girlfriends Sofia and Anastacia :D

Audrey's crate is in the kitchen and she's out loose all evening and night, whilst im in and the kitchen window is shut (I worry about something coming in).

She's allowed everywhere, but at the moment Im restricting her to the kitchen to try and encourage better chewing and litter habits. Weeing bunny + newish cream carpet = big mess!

When her husbun moves in I'm going to make a run area for during the day as the crate is too small for both of them.

George lives in our conservatory. I have a baby gate across the door for bedtime and when I go out, but the rest of the time it is open and he just roams about, although usualy he goes and lies back in there, I think he like sbeing nosey out fo the big glass windows. :lol:

He doesn't have a cage at all, just a dog bed with blankets his litter tray food bowl hay, water and a big basket of toys. I have put a covered litter tray in there too, just incase a fox was ever outside and he needed somewhere to hide, he doesn't use that one as his litter tray, only his regular tray.

In the summer if it's too hot in the conservatory and we have to go out, we put him in the kitchen.
root_003.jpg

Aaah what a fab pic of george sleeping....

My two have their own room, they have a cage but it has a play pen attached so they never get shut in. When I am home they pretty much have the run of the house!

My lot are outdoor buns now... they did spend last winter in the conservatory though.. Sooty was only around 10wks last firework night so I brought him in for the night and he never went back outside!! :oops: :lol: Then Holly arrived in December, then the babies arrived in February :shock: :wink: They all went outside around May I think and have been outside in their big hutch ever since

My Conservatory last winter
RIMG0553.jpg

Where they live now :D (Yes that is a child sat in the run!! :shock: )
RIMG0879.jpg

I have an extension, that's made up of 2 rooms & a hallway. That's separated into sections. they all live in there all day, & are given the run of the house at evening/weekends! :D

I used to have a pair of buns inside with free run of the house and a little dog bed to sleep in. After they passed on I was rabbit free for a while and two dogs arrived - one of whom cannot be trusted with house buns.

When I started rescuing again ( we can't help oursleves can we? ) I kept my buns in 6 foot happyhutch cages for a bit but felt that thay were not good enough so invested in some childen's wooden playhouses which have been converted in to large split level houses with ramps.

They are happy, get lots of attention and still spend time inside when it is very hot or very cold.

my 3 live in the spare bedroom which is about 3m x 2.5m. They have the run of the house when im at home too :D

mine live in my room in a 48" dog cage w/ shelf and an attached 47" x 35" pen they also get free ranging round my room and will also get the landing area once we get the stair gate sorted

abi
teegra and duchess

Tilly & Alfie live in a run in the kitchen when we're out and get the run of the downstirs (lounge & kitchen) in the evening. The other 3 live outside in a 6x8ft shed and 6x7ft run combo. The run is attached to the shed so they can come and go as they please :D

Bobby and Ruby live in a 9'x 6' permanent run outside, and Salt and Pepper are in a 6' x 6' permanent run outside.
Squidgy lives with us and has the run of our dining room/ study during the day - the o/h works at home, so they have each other for company all day. Squidgy then goes into his two tier hutch for bedtime.

Mine lives outside in a 6x4 shed and has free range of the garden when someone is in (which is 90% of the time!).

Deej lives downstairs! His cage is in the lounge, and he has access to the kitchen hall, and loo! :oops: :lol: He is allowed in the front room too, but I like to keep an eye on him in there as he is learning new naughty tricks - latest is climbing on to the very top of the sofa and trying to climb down on to the window ledge! :lol:

Gus has his own room - it has a sofa bed for guests but he tends to spend all night jumping on their heads so we usually let them have our bed and we kip with him! The room has a baby gate so he can let Lola groom him when they are in good moods (and I have fallen over it once whilst drunk and caused myself a massive bruise!)

Lola has the little bedroom for all her toys and litter tray but we dont shut the door so she has the full run of landing and our room. She jumps on my feet if i havent fed her by 6.30am (luckily i get up early for work) and she has a tendency to bash her treat ball against the skirting boards at 3am if she's feeling peckish!

Bracken & Frida have the kitchen which looks like a rabbit warren at the moment! Thankfully we are moving to a new house in Jan with bigger rooms so I'm dividing big spare room into 2 for Gus & Lola and medium spare room into 2 for Bracken & Frida (and her boyfriend when we get one). And then I can have my kitchen back to normal!

In fact we had the valuers round on Tuesday night and I had to hide in the garage with Bracken & Frida having taken their pens to pieces. She didnt realise we had 4 terrors instead of 2!

Both Maya and Bindi Bop, have 6ft hutches. Maya spends a lot of time out of his run, to loose some of his excess flubber, and Bindi has to wait until i get home from work, as shes a little madam, and doesn't appreciate my mum in the slightest!! :lol:

Back