• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Boarding UPSET

Bunnysam

Alpha Buck
Billy & Rosie went to a bunny boarding place recently. I had done a previsit in the summer and she seemed very nice, the hutches were all 5ft and 6ft of a good quality and all situated in a "lean to" extension type thing to her house so undercover. She had fans going at the time of inspection (as it was hot when I visited), there was a radio, it was clean, the roof let in loads of light and either end were bolted stable type doors. She said they could have the run of the floor area as and when. Having searched high and low for a boarder I booked them in. She asked for vacination proof as well - all good.

When me and my b/f dropped them off alarm bells rang when she said they didn't need their litter tray, hay rack, water bottle, food as she would supply everything. FOOD :shock: I told her specifically what they ate and not to give them carrots. She also said if I didn't want them out of the hutch she would leave them in there (I was leaving them for 5 nights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). Reluctantly I went home but was really worried.

Anyway when I picked them up (a) their litter tray wasn't in the hutch (b) she hadn't used my hay rack or water bottle (c) there was a huge bowl of rabbit MIX in their hutch and a few greens plus CARROT .... I had written down on a sheet that they have greens in the morning and 2 very small scoops (hot choc scoop!) of my excel light in the evening plus lots of hay - it was 2.30pm in the afternoon. I WAS LIVID.

I was really upset by this plus they were so quiet for days after coming home hiding under their hutch in their bedroom. I feel like a real bad person for leaving them there but she seemed very nice. I just think she thought she was doing the right thing and was a bit of a control freak. She even had the cheek to write out an advice sheet for me saying I should be feeding them X amount (a tub size) of pellets!!!!! They weren't poo'ing properly either :evil:

They are NEVER going there again. I feel like I am a bad mum :cry:

... oh yes and she had thrown away (she said it broke but it was new) my salt lick I had put on their cage and also thrown away my little pellet measurer (hot chocolate scoop thing) :evil: :evil:

How rude! I appreciate that everyone does things differently and may not agree with how I personally will look after my bunny, but that's just awful! You put your trust, bunnies and money into the hands of this woman and she should KNOW that changing their feed all of a sudden (it takes far longer than five days to change them over) is not a good thing. I would have taken her advice sheet and rammed it somewhere very uncomfortable! :evil: If my bunny ever goes to a boarder, I expect him to come back with EVERYTHING that he went with, and if anything is damaged and "thrown away" I expect it to be replaced. That is just not on.. :evil:

Sorry to hear that Bunnysam. I think you should defo give her some feedback, either in a letter or phonecall and tell her how upset and unhappy you are at her for not following your instructions.

She may listen and change her ways from then on and be a better bunny carer for other bunnies that she is in care of in the future?

Hope your buns are back to normal now.

I think that's really terrible!! :shock: (not you, the bunny boarder)
If she knew rabbits well she should know that you can't just change food over suddenly, and you saying that they can't have carrots then her GIVING them carrots is awful! It should be obvious that you know your rabbits best... and if you are PAYING someone to look after them they should 100% follow your wishes. Whether they'd want to do it that way or not.

I think you should definitely complain to this woman to say how unhappy you were with her service.

You are NOT a bad bunny mum. Hope your buns are ok now :D

Thats terrible. Mine have got to go boarding for 10days over Christmas :cry: I'm really worried about it. You shouldn't feel guilty at all. You did everything within your power to make sure it was the right place, short of setting up some sort of video surveillance I can't think of anymore you could have done.

Im not suprised you're angry! :evil: Im sure boarders must sometimes have bunns coming in who are not properly cared for- but your care sounds excellent, and if she had an issue with what you were feeding etc she should have discussed it with you, not just gone ahead and changed it to something rubbish :evil: :evil: .

Where are you boarding yours please Isabel? I'll no doubt need to put mine into boarding at some point.

That's terrible, stupid woman :evil:

I'm really lucky as I live close enough to Kay at Bunnyhops Hotel and Rescue (Kayj)

I would have to write to her telling her how dissapointed you are with the care they received whilst there. :x

I can understand that giving lots of different foods to different buns could be a pain but she is being PAID TO DO IT!!!

awww hun i am so sorry but at least your twins are back home safe and sound with you now :D

i am so lucky having tree for when i need my bunnies boarded :love:

give them snuggles from me :D

Oh Dear I am very sorry to hear you have had such a negative experience of a bunny hotel :(
I have a page on our boarding contract that asks for Clients to list all the equipment they bring with them..this serves two purposes:1) to ensure I return all the owners items 2) to give me a reminder as to what the bunny(s) has around him/ her at home.
We supply litter trays , food racks and everything else here too, to save people having to remember or pack lots of items, but we always ask them to bring a favourite toy or hidey box etc for the bunny from their own home.
I ask each Client to bring their own dried food, as we would never just feed anything we had in stock, as a sudden change in diet is a sure way of making a bunny poorly :?
If you use a boarding establishment, it is good to visit beforehand if possible, and ask for some written references you can follow up before you leave your bunnies with someone you do not know.
Best wishes

Hi Mandy...I'm working on it (its driving my boyfirend mad). But hopefully Oadby Pet Hotel in Leicestershire. They've got a website, it looks nice and tidy and she says to bring your own food (which I take as a good sign). There doesn't seem to be anywhere nice in Nottingham. I think I might have to start a luxury rabbit hotel!

The thing is the lady was very nice and the set up really lovely. She seemed devoted to her buns and very kind. When I went for the revisit I was there for ages and we were talking rabbit you know how it is :lol:

She said she would supply everything but I insisted on bringing their own excel light pellets since they only had a very small amount (I was shocked that she was prepared to give them her food). I brought along their litter tray as she didn't use them. She was absolutely fine about all this and noted what they ate, etc and said she would adhere to this.

It was when I collected them she had changed everything. This is so dangerous for a bunny like you say. No wonder they were a bit poorly when they came home. She could have killed them :evil:

I think I will write a letter advising her like you say. Thank you :)

I am so stuck with bunny boarding in my area, its a bit of a nightmare :(

But at least I have my "twins" ( :lol: ) back ... GOD DID I MISS THEM!!

Aww don't feel bad on yourself, you weren't to know.

I would definately write a letter of complaint as she obviously wasn't thinking of the rabbits needs/welfare.....but at least they are safely home with you now.

Adele said:
We supply litter trays , food racks and everything else here too, to save people having to remember or pack lots of items, but we always ask them to bring a favourite toy or hidey box etc for the bunny from their own home.
I ask each Client to bring their own dried food, as we would never just feed anything we had in stock, as a sudden change in diet is a sure way of making a bunny poorly :?

Like Adele says we also supply everything but the dried food unless it's one I have in stock and the owner is happy for me to use the one here.
But that is only so we don't end up with loads of bags of feed everywhere.
Again like Adele we ask for a favourite toy, pieace of bedding(for house rabbits) etc and to see vacciantion cards.

If your not happy tell the lady and give your reasons. I would be so upset if someone wasn't happy with me for the care I had given their animal. I would want to know so I could make improvements or at least explain why something had been changed.

Glad there home safe with you know though :D

Oh my gosh I am so sorry!!!

I am so blessed with my boarder! - She does everything you ask, even though she has a ton of other rabbits to care for! - When I rescued a boy from her - she was even kinf enough to switch him on to the food I use for me. She's an angel!
I hope you find another one that you can really trust!!!!

Thank you Dideen :D

Yes I have tried those two but they are quite far away from where I live but I think if my parents can't have them again (they were away in America this time) I will have to give them a go. Also the Ramsgate one didn't cater for indoor buns.

I boarded with Mary who fosters for Bobtails, she`s based in Banstead Surry just off the M25 can`t remember the junction No. She was fantastic and would highly recommend her, will give her number if you pm me.

Back