• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Harly def has myxi - UPDATE FROM VET FRI 15th, WOOHOO!!!!!!

lucyj

Mama Doe
Followin is posts jst made on temp forum - rather than re typing -

Honey and Harly have suspected myxi, even tho they've been vaccinated (can still get it jst less likey).

A week ago Honey came up with a big hard lump on his nose. The vet thought it was an infected scratch, and gave him Baytril. Have a repeat appt for him tomorrow. She said althought she wasnt ruling myxi out, she thought it was unlikely, as would exoect a series of lumps, or more symptoms, and so just to keep an eye on both of them for more symptoms appearing.

Harly's eyelids are now very red and swollen, and tonight he has a lot of creamy discharge in them. Ive taken a wet soft cloth and cleaned them for him. Also, he is less active than normal.

Ive phoned the 24hr vet, and he thinks it does sound like myxi. I had given harly a dose of Honey's Baytril as have plenty left, and vet says thats all he would have done for him tonight anyway, just to keep appt tomorrow. Im so worried

touie

:

Items
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:05 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope its not what you think. Sending healing vibes x

Haffy

:

Items
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:07 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check their bits as well if they are swollen thats a sign too ( I shall keep my fingers crossed for you too I knwo what you are going through

It seems to be at large Myxi at the Mo its awful,

lucyjw

:

Items
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:14 pm Post subject:

THanks for that, I did know that bought their bits but I was so stressed I forgot to check.

Ive taken them both inside for the night, I was going to put them in the bathroom but its a little cold in there with the radiator off and its jammed at full heat so when its on its boiling, so Ive decided to sleep in the living room with them. All my cables are behind a corner desk with doors which they cant get in2, or behing the sofa, so Ive tipped storage boxes on their side and put them at the edges so they shouldnt be able to get behind.

Ive given them a cardboard box full of hay, and they've just snuggled down in2 it and gone to sleep and I dont want to disturb them, but when they next wake up Ill have a look and see.

ShivyRex

:

Items
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:16 pm Post subject:

Oh lucy keeping my fingers crossed for u hun!! hugs to both boys!!!

Maxbun

:

Items
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:16 pm Post subject:

I'm just going through this too at the moment. Both my bunnies are vaccinated and have Myxi. There seems to be a lot of it about. I noticed that my vet has put up a large poster all about it in the waiting room.

It's a really horrible disease. Millie has it quite mildly, only one eye is swollen and she has a very small scab on her nose. Fergus, however, looks terrible - his whole face is covered in swellings, and he has them behind his ears and on his private parts. They are both on Baytril, and Fergus has had an anti inflammatory injection today.

Whereabout in the uk are you?
Jane

Gem

:

Items
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:30 pm Post subject:

I'm dreading it coming to me, theres no way I can nurse 15 with Myxi.

I'm praying Honey and Harley get better really soon

Love
Gem x

lucyjw

:

Items
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:44 pm Post subject:

Harly just woke up and came out box so I checked his bits and they are all red and swollen, oh my god. I cant stop crying. I picked him up and gave him a cuddle and he was making funny little clicky noises but I dont know if this is because hes in pain or because I was sobbing and he was scared. I can hardly see to type.

Carol X

:

Items
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:53 pm Post subject:

I am so sorry to hear all these little bunnies are struggling with this horried disease. I am really hoping and praying that all will be O.K for you all.
My best wishes and fingers are all tightly crossed.
Carol X

mandycc

:

Items
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:11 pm Post subject:

Oh Lucy Im so sorry to hear about your boys, what an awful shock . Will be thinking about you tomorrow at the vets xx

lucyjw

:

Items
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:14 pm Post subject:

I feel so guilty. When honey came up with the lump last week, people on another forum were tellin me it may be myxi and to split them up, but when I went to the vets she reckoned it was jst an infection and splitting them could be more stressful.

Now Harly's ill and Honey's on the mend. I just wish id erred on the side of caution and split them anyway, and he might not be sick. I know it sounds silly but they'r my babies and Im in a right old state

mandycc

:

Items
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:17 pm Post subject:

I dont know a great deal about myxi, but surely if they'd been living together Harly would have got it anyway. It would have caused them stress to be seperated.

And of course you'd think you'd be able to trust your vet to know what is wrong.

Its not at all silly to be so upset, I bet anyone of us would be the same. Dont give up xx

BUNNYMADHOUSE

:

Items
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:22 pm Post subject:

dont feel bad ...correct me if im wrong some one but as i understand it it doesnt pas from bun to bun untill the puss appears . it sounds like they could have got it from the same source rather than one contaminating the other .

hope they re ok
Angie

Mel

:

Items
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:30 pm Post subject:

Aww hope they are ok xxxxx

kayjay

:

Items
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:33 pm Post subject:

OMG I have everything crossed for you. My bun has a swollen genital area and the vet told me to keep an eye on it in case it's myxi but she doesn't seem to be getting any worse and I've been so worried so can't imagine how you must feel.

Sending big hugs and cuddles and I hope you and your buns get through this evil disease. Please keep us updated.

The normal RU is up and running now so you may get more advice on there

Take care xx

god i have blocked off all the ways they can get behind the couch (where the tv cables are) but i was textin my mum letting her know whats going on, plugged phone in to charge and nipped to splash face with cold water and get tissue for nose without thinkin and when i came back the charger wire's in 2 pieces, honey must have nipped right through it. he's ok tho. why is everythin happening 2nite?! They have settled down 2 sleep so im away to take 2 painkillers for my thumpin head and try to do the same, my vets appt not supposed 2 b til 5pm but goin set alarm for first thing and try get them in earlier. Will need to buy indoor cage as think they'll need to be kept in, vet on phone tonight said would treat for approx 10 days and see how it went.

Ive been goggle'ing for advice and it seems to be mixed - some sites say about 50% of vacc'd rabbits survive, others say most do, and the vet last week said 'even if was myxi, likely would survive anyway' so i jst need 2 calm myself down and try 2 b positive, me hysterically sobbing isnt gettin him any better, and Im doin silly things like leavin charger plugged in! That doesnt mean 2 say wont prob still cry to sleep tho.

His bits just look so sore, although there's no discharge, I think til I saw them I was keeping it in the back of my head that it was an eye infection or something and just a coincidence

dont feel bad ...correct me if im wrong some one but as i understand it it doesnt pas from bun to bun untill the puss appears . it sounds like they could have got it from the same source rather than one contaminating the other .

God honey hasnt had any puss yet, just the lump and the scratch, what if it is just an infection, now harlys got puss, he could infect honey? SHould I split them? Or is that too coincidental? I dont want to split them if I dont have too as Honey keeps going and checking on him and grooming him and they'r snuggled up sleeping so I think he's making him feel a bit better.

If it is myxi he already had it when Honey's lump came up (the incubation period is up to 14 days). Most likely they both got it from the same source (an insect or flea) Myxi isn't contagious by proximity so splitting them up wouldn't have helped. It runs through rabbit colonies like wild fire because wild rabbits and their warrens are infested with fleas not because they live in groups.

Stress can lower the immune system so splitting them up would likely do more harm than good :) You made the right decision.

Update from through the night - had them in living room til about 3am. Gave them a second lot of veg, which I never normally would, but just wanted them to keep on eating. Harly got up about 6 times to have something to eat, was eating both veg and hay, but each time after eating weent straight back into bed box. Honey was up exploring, and dotting back and forward to check on Harly, normally Harly's the most active one but he's hardly been out box all night.

I just couldnt get settled with them in living room I kept worrying that I hadnt bunny proofed it enough, and Honey was going to hurt himself on soemthing through the night. By 3am I was really tires so I moved them in2 bathroom, covered radiator with a thick towel so it wouldnt be too hot if they came up against it, and set it to be on for an hour, off for 2, on for 1, off for 2, and alarm for now 2 get up and check on them. Ive been through but they are still asleep, and Honeys at the front. Its normally at least 8.30am before they're up and on the go just now with it being dark still so I'll wait a little while and go through and clean his eyes and stuff again.

Here's some newish pics of my boys, taken a few weeks ago. sorry about the red eyes. The last couple are just of Harly with my little sister.

resizedrobbies21st013.jpg

resizedrobbies21st014.jpg

resizedrobbies21st022.jpg

resizedrobbies21st023.jpg

Made me smile to think of them having a lie in, I wish I could :)

Good luck at the vets today, my fingers are still crossed

Just been through with their breakfast and fresh litter tray of hay, both came out for b/fast and munched it all down (2 small handfuls pellets between them), cleaned Harly's eyes again but there was hardly any discharge, just a little bit, was loads last night. Checked his bits, still v red and swollen but no discharge. Fund a little scab and bald patch on the back of Honey's neck tho. Tried the vets just now but it's still 24hr line so I'll try again at 9am.

Good luck with your bunnies! I had a bunny that had been vaccinated and still got myxi a few years back. He survived and lived for another three years after, fingers crossed for your buns! Claire x

Fingers crossed for you and the buns - keep us updated.
Sending loads of positive vibes....

Sabrina
xx

Managed to get vet changed to 9.30 am. Def myxi. Says the lump Honey has, which is now getting better, and the tiny little scab on the back of his neck, are symptoms of nodular or atypical myxi, and he should be ok, Ive to keep giving him Baytril (0.4ml of 2.5% per day), he is lively enough etc (usually performance in the vets, he just hates it).

Says Harlys condition is pretty grave, as he is displaying more syptoms of typical full blown myxi. As well as the sore red eyes and swollen bits she had a look at his nose and says his vent is a little swollen, and also the base of his ears are a little swollen and red now too. Says it doesnt look good for him, but as he's been vaccinated he does have a chance, it just depends on how strong his immune system is, if he manages to fight it off or not.

She's given him an anti-inflammatory injection, and he's now to get the same dose of Baytril as Honey every day. Ive to bring him back on Thursday, when she'll prob give him more anti-inflammatory, and every 2nd day after that til we see how it goes.

Been and bought an indoor cage to keep inside, to keep them both 2gther and warm (she thinks infected up to 2 weeks ago, not from each other, and also prob not via a cat, reckons a wild rabbit has passed through garden at night. They've only had access to run about 2 nights the last few weeks as its been bad weather, but it must have been 1 of those. Even tho Ive not seen any in immediate area, doesnt mean they'r not there she says)

She says the more I can get him to eat the better, as this will keep his strength up. Gave them 2nd lot of veg during night, which I saw him get up 2 at least 5 times, and they both came right out for breakfast this morning and he ate as much pellets as Hoeny, so she says this is good. He's also had some hay. I've only seen him drink water once, but they dont drink a lot anyway, Ive given them a bottle and a bowl incase the bottle is sore for his nose. He is very unactive compared to normal, but says just to leave him not to push him, but to encourage him to eat if necessary. He just looks miserable.

Says if condition keeps on getting worse obv wouldnt be fair on him........., made a total fool of myself, cried in front of vet, the receptionist, most of the way in2 town, in the pet shop when buying indoor cage, then in taxi on way home.

I had a bunny that had been vaccinated and still got myxi a few years back. He survived and lived for another three years after, fingers crossed for your buns! Claire x

How bad were their syptoms Claire? As bad as Harly's? I so hope he makes it :cry:

Oh god Lucy, I think this is every bun owners nightmare :( :( :(

Thats great they're both still eating ok. If they stop, some good tasty things to try are oats in water, banana or baby food (vege, non dairy).

Will be really hoping both your boys pull through, thinking of you xx

Thanks Mandy, and every1, Im going up to the shop shortly so i will grab a jar of baby food just incase, and oats too. They dont like banana, tried to give them a couple of times as a treat and they nibbled a tiny bit and ignored it, he's nibbling on a few pellets just now so fingers crossed :( vet says just time now, says like flu cant treat it can only try to manage symptoms and wait, Im wondering if I should have asked for pain relief for him tho? All she gave was anti-inflammatory?

Anti-inflammatory will act as pain relief too.

So, so sorry to hear this :( I cant post a long reply as am at a neighbours using his PC as I have no internet connection.
The Buns need to be on antibiotics too.

Will try and get more internet access later. Meanwhile I am thinking of you, Harley and Honey

Janex

PS If you emailed me I cant access them either...... :x :x

My heart goes out to you - hang on in there for the boys. You're doing a great job & don't worry about getting upset - we all would in the same situation. Sending healing Reiki energy to you all xx

Thanks Jane, they are now both on 0.4ml of 2.5% baytril daily. Im jst so glad the forums back as I dont think Id of coped last night without it, and of course loads of thanks to you and Tamsin for your help and advice when it was down (and ShivyRex just for listening).

Honestly dont know how u coped with Uncle A and Lord Lops, Im a total wreck and he's still with me, for now anyway. He's tryin to sleep and evrytme I burst in2 tears he opens eyes and looks at me, I dont think he knows whats goin on :cry:

Sending you lots of hugs.

Putting on my natural hat here…

It may be worth adding Echinacea tincture to their water to help boost their immune systems. Homeopathic Arnica is also good for bruising/swelling (I use the tablet form, crush them and put it in the water).

If they are snuffly at all or having problems breathing burning some Olbas Oil or Eucalyptus Oil near them will help them breath more freely.

Calendula cream is very soothing and will be helpful if they have any hot/itchy/swollen sores that are not open or infected.

I’ve found poorly rabbits are often tempted by a selection of fresh herbs mixed with their pellets if they start to get anorexic.

I don’t know if your vet has mentioned this but mine always suggests giving them a probiotic when they are on antibiotics as it helps to keep the gut moving properly.

Louise

Back