• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Up date on Millie & Fergus's Myxi - Thursay 19th October

maxbun

Warren Scout
I've just posted this on the temporary forum, so thought that I would copy it here for anybody who is interested.
Millie's condition is unchanged. The vet thinks that she shouldn't get any worse, so I have my fingers crossed. However, he thinks that Fergus might get worse before he gets any better. He looks terrible, a very swollen face and a huge swelling around his private parts which only came up this morning. He has had an anti inflammatory injection today, and I have some Fuciderm cream to apply and Baytril. I'll keep you posted. I'm feeling quite down tonight - it just seems so unfair, you do everything you can to keep your bunnies safe, and then this happens. I think about all the pet bunnies that are just left in a tiny hutch at the bottom of the garden and live for years and years.
Jane

There seems to be alot of vaccinated rabbits getting myxi.
Could there be a reason for it.
Could the myxi virus have mutated and the vaccine not so effective?

I hope they recover soon.xxx

oh dear , you must be so worried . Myxi is raging around here too :? im worried about my buns :(

hope all goes well . give your buns a gentle hug from me .

Angie

Could the myxi virus have mutated and the vaccine not so effective?

I asked the vet about this today and I thought exactly the same, but he said that it has always been known that the vaccine isn't 100% effective, which is why they altered the recommendation about how it is administered, with part being given into the skin. It is interesting that when Millie had her vaccination, she had a skin reaction to it (a lump on her shoulder) and Fergus didn't, and it is Fergus who seems to have it much more badly. I have just given them their medication, and an extra cuddle (and a carrot cruncher treat that they don't have very often!). I would just like to see no more swellings on Fergie tomorrow.

Jane

I really feel for you. My bun has a swelling in her genital area which I'm putting fuciderm on and the vet said she didn't think it was myxi but to keep a close eye on her in case anything else happens, which so far, touch wood, it hasn't. I've been so worried, I can't imagine how you must feel. I did a search on the net for it and was horrified to see how bad it is, how anyone could have introduced it to wild buns I'll never know, a gun would have been a kinder option :evil:

Please keep us updated how they go, I'll keep everything crossed for you and them

Glad to hear your bunnies are still hanging on :D

As far as I knew your bunny can get Mxy even with them being vacinated against it, but they have a chance of survival if the are vacinated. If they weren't it would be fatal.

Thats as far as I'm aware anyway?

Tuesday 17th - Fergus is still hanging on. I don't think he has got any worse since yesterday. He is being a very good boy and letting me bathe his eyes and 'private' bits. However he doesn't like the baytril, and I had terrible trouble trying to syringe it into his mouth as I was worried about hurting him as his face looks so sore, and the swellings round his mouth are beginning to scab over. I ended up putting it on a piece of brocolli for him to eat, so I hope that he had the full dose.
Jane

maxbun said:
Tuesday 17th - Fergus is still hanging on. I don't think he has got any worse since yesterday. He is being a very good boy and letting me bathe his eyes and 'private' bits. However he doesn't like the baytril, and I had terrible trouble trying to syringe it into his mouth as I was worried about hurting him as his face looks so sore, and the swellings round his mouth are beginning to scab over. I ended up putting it on a piece of brocolli for him to eat, so I hope that he had the full dose.
Jane

Could you ask your Vet for the injectable Baytril?
Maybe a home-visit from Vet to show you how to give injection?

Still sending lots of vibes......

Janex

Maisie was on long term Baytril and I used to syringe it straight on top of her pellets. She woofed it. Then I sprinkled some probiotic into the bowl and used a grape or celery to wipe the bowl clean, making sure she had all the Baytril.

Update Thursday 19th October. Been back to the vets tonight with Fergus. I was very worried last night as he seemed very subdued for the first time, although he was still eating, he wasn't moving around very much. However, this morning he was waiting for breakfast, and was quite impatient with me! He is still in a very serious condition, but the vet said that although he isn't out of the woods, he doesn't think he is much worse than he was on Monday, so he is hoping that his condition is stabilising. He said that it could stay the same for a while before there is any improvement, but he was more hopeful. He has one cloudy eye, and you can see a spot in it, which the vet said is a Myxi swelling. He said there is no ulceration, so hopefully, his sight should not be affected. Going again on Saturday for another anti inflammatory injection.

Fergus said thanks to everyone for the nose rubs - he has been having lots of them, although they have to be very gentle as his nose is so sore.
Jane

Have I missed any up to date news on Millie and Fergus? How are They? I do so hope its good news?

Let us know please.

Cara

I am wondering how they are too......

Can I be really thick and ask what the early symptoms of myxi are? Just to be on the lookout.

You’re not thick at all!

I have had 5 rabbits with myxi...groan..over several years. Most recently Oct 2005 and Sept 2006.

One of my first rabbits, Sophie, presented with a lump on her nose (just like one of the other bunnies here on these forums).

At the time, the vet had no idea what the cause was. The lump developed a scab, which eventually left a scar. Some months earlier her sister had died of myxi but was a very obvious case. With Sophie it is only in retrospect that I realised she had also had myxi, but a very mild case thankfully.

But I do now wonder at the vet’s lack of knowledge at that time, as that type of lump is very typical of myxi.

These were my first rabbits and shop bought. How much I have learnt since then! Both rabbits had been vaccinated, but complacency set in and their vaccinations had lapsed. Obviously Sophie was a tough old thing and went on to live to a fine age!

Most recently I had commented to my husband that Blossom, (fully vaccinated), sitting on the lawn, seemed 'asleep' a lot of the time. Her eyes were closed. Ian said 'oh she is just resting' but it did not seem right to me - a rabbit with its eyes shut so much - they are such alert animals.

Sure enough a slight discharge developed a couple of weeks later in one of her eyes.....and we eventually lost her.

Another thing I had noticed (and I have heard this mentioned somewhere before) - she had been drinking quite a lot.

That is my experience - one I hope you do not have to endure.

Hope this helps.

Cara

Back