• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

BABY BUNNIES!! Updated: We Lost ANOTHER One!

mit

Mama Doe
I hope you have all heard about by very exciting weekend ive had. If not check it out here: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=31781

So i need some help now with the babies! Not sure what to do. I last night i rubbed my hand i their mothers poo and checked to see if they were all ok, all nine seemed all good to me! And checked the nest for any ones that might had dies at birth, none. The nests are well made. Dunno what the next step is really. Eeeek!

Help!

So heres the family:

Kieran my cousin with Coffie (Dady Bun/Dutch):

IMG_5698.jpg

Coffie again, father of NINE!!:

IMG_5699.jpg

This is Patch (Mummy No.1/Dutch Cross):

IMG_5700.jpg

IMG_5705.jpg

IMG_5704.jpg

Her Nest, She gave birth on Saturday morning, Kieran watched the first one pop out:

IMG_5716.jpg

IMG_5717.jpg

Patch had Four babies:

IMG_5721.jpg

Here Booster (Mummy No.2/Lionhead):

IMG_5703.jpg

IMG_5709.jpg

IMG_5706.jpg

Her Nest, she gave birth on Saturday night or early Sunday, shed given birth before 8pm that Sunday. Better nest building. Her fur is everywhere!!:

IMG_5710.jpg

Her FIVE babies:

IMG_5711.jpg

IMG_5712.jpg

IMG_5714.jpg

Set up:
IMG_5722.jpg

m
xx

:shock: Flippin' 'eck!

With regards to looking after them all, the mums should do it all really. Just make sure they have plenty of water and food as they will need extra whilst feeding the little bubbas. Also spring greens are supposed to be good for milk production too.

Look foward to the pics :D

As Sue said, the does should take care of most of it. There's a few interesting websites on baby bunnies - I'm sure if you do a "Rabbit Care" search on Google, you should come up with something useful. Just make sure the Mums have plenty of fresh water, hay and leafy green veggies. You could add a multi-vitamin to their water bottles as well, although lots of people think this is unnecessary.
Good luck - just keep an eye on them, remove any kits that pass over the Bridge and cover the rest with Mum's fur again when you're finished checking on them.

Ok, thats sounds about right. Thanx! How often should i be handeling them, ive read,just leave mum to it and dont touch or check just when there born for any passed away ones and ive read that you should handle them everyday for them to get used being held. Any ideas? Just wondering also what was the survival rate is for kits that belong to a first time mum? I've been told that most of the time they are die or one might survive. :cry: Their are some stunners in the two nests at the moment!

m
xx

Holly was a first time mum and she had 4 kits but sadly two didn't make it past a week :cry:

But two did :D Sweep and Blue!!

It's not unusual for some not to survive :(

Sue&Sooty said:
Holly was a first time mum and she had 4 kits but sadly two didn't make it past a week :cry:

Is there any thing to prevent it, could i do some thing to help thier chanse of survial? How often did you handle them?

m
xx

Just make sure the mothers really look after them and feed them. Watch them for a while, they should not be walking all over their babies or ignoring them. I had 10 accidental babies from one rabbit when I had my first bunnies (loooooong time ago), and they all died because the mother ignored them completely. :cry:

mit said:
Sue&Sooty said:

Is there any thing to prevent it, could i do some thing to help thier chanse of survial? How often did you handle them?

m
xx

Sadly I don't think there is much that can be done really.

As for handling them, I didn't pick them up till they were about 2weeks old I think and then they were like little lemmings and were very jumpy!! :D I just kinda left Holly to it and tried to give her plenty of peace and quiet :? which was a bit tricky when you consider they were in the conservatory and I have a very small house with 2 lively boys!!

I didn't touch my free ad babies til it became necessary to put them back in nest after the mums had removed them. I started handling at about 12 days old.

oooooo so your technically a grandad :lol:

well you sound busy!! reading all that just knacked me out!!!
I remember when Sugar gave birth, I left them for about a week apart from checking them at first for any dead, then whilst Sugar was having her run i would do the whole rub your hands in the mess thing and hold them for about 5 mins at first and then put it up more and more each day just so they got used to it, they all ended up really friendly apart from Dandy who being a Fawn and white was just trouble :roll: :roll: :lol:

haffyj said:
oooooo so your technically a grandad :lol:

:oops: :oops: Eeeeek!
I KNOW!!

Will defos get pic of the babies tonight for you guys. Checked on them yesterday and noticed one of Boosters ones is looking not so good. Dont thinks he/she is getting enough milk. :(

Gonna check on them later this evening, havent checked on this yesterday and im scared it might have passed away?

BTW. Would actually harm the babies if i one was to handel them everyday??

m
xx

It didn't do mine any harm :D just becareful of mum as some Does can get very worried by constant looking and touching if you give her a treat or a run whilst you want to handle them it will distract her :D Thats what i used to do.

If one isn't getting any milk you could always try and 'attached' him to the teat to feed that way whilst holding mum :wink: I have read that some where i don't know any one that might have tried it or you could always go 'mum' and hand feed :wink:

haffyj said:
If one isn't getting any milk you could always try and 'attached' him to the teat to feed that way whilst holding mum :wink:

How would one do that? Lay mum on the back on my legs and put the baby on her belly and help it find the teet? :oops:

m
xx

mit said:
haffyj said:
If one isn't getting any milk you could always try and 'attached' him to the teat to feed that way whilst holding mum :wink:

How would one do that? Lay mum on the back on my legs and put the baby on her belly and help it find the teet? :oops:

m
xx

Thats it :D the very way should be easy to find they eeerrrmmm become bigger when feeding :lol: :oops:

Do you think its ok to sleep the thier hutchs as, they are due for a clean and are real dirty. I would not touch the bedroom where the nest is, and would clean the rest of the hutch with just warm water. Could the disinfectant smell out the mum off thier babies??

m
xx

Cleaning the hutch will be fine the 'front room area' as it were can be cleaned as normal

just leave the nest area as it is until they leave it, :D then you can clear that as normal

haffyj said:
Cleaning the hutch will be fine the 'front room area' as it were can be cleaned as normal

just leave the nest area as it is until they leave it, :D then you can clear that as normal

I see. A few more questions. :oops: How old are they when they start to leave thier nest? 2 weeks? Also at what age is it ok to handle them with out rubbing my hands in poo??

m
xx

mit said:
haffyj said:

I see. A few more questions. :oops: How old are they when they start to leave thier nest? 2 weeks? Also at what age is it ok to handle them with out rubbing my hands in poo??

m
xx

Thats ok :lol: mine started to wonder out of the nest at 12 - 14 days around the same time their eyes opened, thats when i removed all the nest and everything as well, after that is when you can stop rubbing your hands in their poo :oops: (what i did is i rubbed my hands all over mums fur :D did the job just as well) this is also when they start running riot around the hutch :shock: and mum can't keep control over them :lol: bless her, they will also start nibbing on mums food :lol: you will be able to see their charectors then too :love:

Back