• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any ideas for new bunny rooms?

We are due to move into our new house in January if its built by then (something to look forward to after the nightmare week I've had so far).

It means I can finally move Bracken & Frida upstairs and get my kitchen back. I just want some ideas really for my bunny rooms so i can work out what i need to buy.

Anyway, I am planning on putting Gus & Lola (plus piggies) into the bigger bedroom which is 15'x10'. After the biting incident they are friends again but i will have to divide them. At the mo they have seperate rooms and a baby gate to keep Gus' safe. This time though I'm going to need to divide the entire room in half. How can I do this and make sure it is safe as Lola can knock most things down (and climb over them too just to be awkward). I have the usual puppy pen panels and some storage cubes.

Bracken & Frida are going in the smaller room which is 8'x10'. Again I'm planning on dividing it in 2 (so its 8'x5').

I have to make sure that I can actually open at least one section of the dividers as I'm sick of hurdling over enclosures!

Does anyone else have rooms set up like this or does anyone have any practical suggestions - advice gratefully received.

Forgot to mention that we were considering getting Frida a friend, but at the moment that's not going to happen as I've already had to let Mandy down over Max the guinea pig due to family circumstances. But I'm hoping by Jan that things might have changed - would 8'x5' be sufficient for 2 bunnies (she's a frenchie x) that would get lots of time out of their enclosures?

And onto my next question - next summer I'm thinking about letting the bunsters out in the garden during the day (weather permitting). Any ideas for this? I need to keep them seperate and they need lots of room as Gus & Lola are big bunnies and Frida's heading the same way. Garden is going to be big so space is not too much of a concern but I dont want to take up the full garden with wire mesh - cant see o/h being impressed somehow!

I have 2 rooms & a hallway for my buns, & it's divided into sections for each bonded pair/group. My Ex (before he left!) built a wooden framework attached to the laminate & walls, then big wooden panels that slide in & out so I can make sections bigger or smaller. They can lift out for easy access, but TBH I just do the hurdle thing!! One room is 4 sections, One is 2 & the hallway has been left as one.

Loads of my babies will be going soon :( so bigger space for the rest

Looks like I'll be begging my little brother to do some DIY for me then!

I like that idea actually - i was thinking along those lines but I'm useless at anything practical :lol: - but I'll ask our Mike this weekend.

Can you get a hold of wire shelving grids? I have two pairs of buns that don't get along, so this is what I did for a bunny room:

2e0setj.jpg

I left a small walkway in the room so I can open the pen doors and let them out to play. It works great for me!

I've got tons of those grids actually. I doubt I'll have enough to do both rooms but I'll give it a try with Gus & Lola.

I never thought of leaving a walk way. I suppose its actually easier than just dividing the room in half because you can get more support from the corners of the dividers if they are L shaped, rather than trying to attach the dividers to walls. Plus less hurdling! :lol:

Thanks for the tip

Hurdling? I'd never be able to do that. I built the walls three grids tall! :lol:

That way I could put shelves in there (one from an old grid cage, the other just a slab of wood attached to the wall, it's fab!) without worrying about a naughty bun jumping into the other pen. Mocha really really hates Fey and Sprite and literally tried to kill Fey once. If she'd cut a hair's breadth more into Fey then she might not be alive. :shock: I'm not taking any risks!

Oh, also if you notice the middle is two lines of grids with space so they can't reach each other at all. Most of it is covered with cardboard, otherwise Mocha spends all her day glaring at Fey and Sprite. :?

Back