• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay question

Yes, why not? If they like it and it is much cheaper than small bags? Most people just don't have the room to store that much hay. :D

I use hay bales for my rabbits, I'd never thought about the possibility of myxi. I've just had a quick look at a myxi site and it says:

"Pet rabbits could contract myxomatosis in a variety of ways:

• Bites from mosquitoes.
• Bites from fleas carrying the myxomatosis virus (fleas can survive for many months in hay)
• Myxomatosis can also be spread by Cheyletiella fur mites"

What does everyone else think?

I used my horses hay and straw. We would take a bag full for the bun and guineas once or twice a week.

O but hay by the bale..and after all where do you think the small bags of hay come from?..they are bagged from bales :D

chloaster said:
But are they not squidged and sucked and de-dusted and all those other exciting things? :oops:
I think some are and some aren't..not sure if it would suck out all the fleas ?! :?
I couldn't afford to buy by the bag..and the most important thing is to have your bunny vacs and know it well enough to look for early signs of illness

I use bales at the moment, its our own hay so we know its nice quality and theres no nasty plants in it, just watch its not too dusty. when its £1.50 for a bag, or the same for a bale, i think it must be better to have a bale and pick out the best bits for the bunnies (after all my ponies should be able to live on the bare welsh mountains, they arent to picky about hay). i probably get througha bale a week with 9 guineas and a rabbit, that would cost a fortune in bags.

Back