• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Silly buns..

lisey

Warren Scout
Both my bunnies live in a 2 story hutch (thistle hall im sure you all know of it) and they seem to have made the warm bedroom compartment their toilet. And now dont go in there except to relieve themselves onto mounds of straw :evil:

I've tried putting their litter tray that they use indoors in a corner on the bottom level of the hutch so they wont keep going in there but it hasnt worked.
It makes it icky to clean out too, and worries me cos they sit out on the open part with the wire mesh door during the night - what with all the foxes and it getting cold im worried all the time.
Help :(

Do you cover the mesh part of the hutch at night? I use some roofing felt up againts the hutch to keep the wind and rain out. My hutch is also enclosed in a run made of Argos storage cubes with a lid so if any fox or cat did come into our garden its pretty secure from them. :D

Why don't you put their litter tray into their bedroom so they can pee/poop/sleep all at the same time? Mine seem to spend most of their time sitting in their litter trays, despite having a large shed to hop around.

My bunny uses the sleeping part of the hutch as his toilet, too. I have given up trying to change that for now. I just put a litter box where he wants it. He sleeps outside next t the wire mesh all night, but I have a perspex cover to keep out wind and rain.

Ahh yeah good idea, i need to make a cover for the front then! Shouldnt be too difficult :shock:

I have Thistle Hall too :D

My four don't use their bedroom as a loo but they also don't seem to use it very much either :roll: They also seem to prefer to sit huddled up in the bottom of the hutch! I cover the whole front of the hutch with a big sheet of bubble wrap at night. Also during the day, if it's wet, I keep the top half of the hutch and the run covered with the same bit of bubble wrap

Mine uses her bedroom as a toilet to!...
but both her upstairs and downstairs have bedrooms- the bottom one seems to be used for sleeping.

Back