• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Rescues/ Refuges

Bunyipboy

Young Bun
How much time (and money!)goes in to running one of these??
How hard is it to find homes and how much space does each rabbit need??

Just wondering cos I'd really like to have one oneday, not anytime soon (im only 15) but there are none where I live and I think I could be good at it... hopefully!

these are questions that don't really have a definate answer
How much time and money.....about 27 hours a day and a money tree is needed :shock:

How much space..well depends how many buns you take in..it's good to set a limit so you can care for them properly and give each bun as much space as you can.
Be prepared to spend all your time worrying over the buns and quite often you have to deal . politely..with idiots and/or people who have been cruel to their animals.
It is lovely when you find a bun a great home to go to and you get to meet some very nice people too!
If you can do all this..then go for it...most of us who do it find it hard but wouldn't stop as we know the animals need us and you do get satifaction from helping them...well done for thinking of this I hope you do have your own rescue one day!

It's a lovely idea and I hope that one day you manage to achieve it :D . Don't forget that you may also have bunnies brought in that require urgent veterinary treatment, so that will cost a bit. My local vet runs on reduced costs for charitable rescues, but I'll bet it's still very expensive. I would imagine it's a full time commitment, so you will need to ensure you have a good source of funding (a rich husband would be useful :wink: ), or perhaps some kind of sponsorship with a company?

I am a big fan of projects, and often create folders of information set out neatly (I never quite got over school! :lol: ) when I am interested in something. Maybe you could start off a project and business plan, that might be of benefit to your school work? You could start with a brief introduction as to why you think it is important to open a rabbit rescue, do a draft "schedule" of how you expect your day to day care of the rabbits to run, interview some folks who already run rescues, detail general veterinary care (i.e. vaccinations, neutering, etc) from a couple of different vets practices.... I could go on :oops: . It would be a good way for you to prepare yourself for the realities of running a rescue, and in a few years you could hand it over to a bank as your business plan ;)

ARC's vet bill last year was in excess of £14,000 :shock: we did take in 226 rabbits, 250 piggies, 94 cats, 45 kittens and 42 others.

It is certainly a very worthwhile thing to do, you need a decent kitty of money to start off, ideally a fund raising team, a band of helpers and transport to get back and foreward from the vet. You also need to be able to not say anything to people who offer you animals in a dreadful condition otherwise they are liable not to hand them over to you.

You also need to accept that you cannot help every unwanted animal when you are fullup and unable to take in any more :cry:

Back