• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Why do buns have to be wormed for 5 days?

Nicola3

Mama Doe
Soz to harp on about worming buns...you must all be sick of it by now :oops: :oops: .

I just wondered why bun shave to have a 5 day course of worming treatment when dogs and cats usually only have to have a single dose?

Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

i think it makes sence because rabbits eat thair own droppings, hence they would require a prolonged course to counteract the fact they would continue to reinfect themselves. :?

When Zion got pin worms I was told to give him one dose of panacur and then repeat in 3 weeks if necessary. I checked him everyday and I never saw anymore after the first dose so I didn't bother with the second.

Shiv

Hi Shiv :D ,

I remember you saying that before, but I have read that for pinworms to be visible on a bun it means that the infestation of worms is pretty bad. This is only from what I have read in tinternet. I quote 'You will not usually see signs of pin worm unless it is a severe infestation. Typical signs include slow growth rate, poor condition and low resistance to intestinal diseases."

I wonder why you were told to give one dose and then another dose 3 weeks later instead of a course of 5 day treatment? Does anybody else just worm their buns with a single treatment?

Obviously, I would prefer to only give Harv a single dose as I am not sure whether he has them or not but if this isn't going to be effective I will have to stick to the 5 day course.

Does everyone on here stick to a 5 day course or do some peopel just give a single dose?

Shiv, can you remember what dosage you had to give your Zion?

Hugs,

Nic n Harv xxx

Well Zion was absolutley fine in himself - eating, pooing, binkying etc etc. He wasn't lethargic and was in great condition so I suppose I just found them on a day they were exiting his bowel. I have also read on the net that pin worms aren't really a great cause for concern. They live in wild bunnies and aren't necessarily a problem. Who knows - I wanted to be on the safe side and get him treated.

I think the dose was 0.6ml but I can't remember exactly. I still have the bottle at home with some left so I can check. When you go to woodlands and if you happen to see Jane then ask her why she only recommended the one dose.

Good luck at the vets. As I have said before I would give him a dose of panacur to be on the safe side.

Hugs

Shiv xXXx

Ok. Will do.

I'm seeing Justine as she has treated Harv from the very start and she also advised a 5 day course if Harv has them. I will ask why Jane only recommended the one dose and another 3 wks later :thumb:

If that is another way of worming buns I would rather go with that option as it is less meds.

Hugs,

Nic n Harv xxx

Nicola3 said:
I wonder why you were told to give one dose and then another dose 3 weeks later instead of a course of 5 day treatment? Does anybody else just worm their buns with a single treatment?

That's because the worming meds (Ivermectin? That's what we use.) only kill one life stage of the pinworms. So it'll kill the adults but all the larvae (babies) will be left. So the second dose is to kill off the larvae when they change to adults a few weeks later. This is the most common way to treat pinworms in the US.

Sometimes it needs a lot more than that. I know someone on another forum who's been treating her rabbit's pinworms for maybe two months now. They just won't die! :shock:

I would say panacur given over five days would be much more effective and certainly more commonly recommended for rabbits - I have given mine panacur for 28days (Ec treatment) with no side effects or issues so 5 days will do no harm.

Caz

Back