• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Injured claw - please help U/D been 2 vets

lucyj

Mama Doe
I have a hutch/run combi, about an hour ago I was putting Honey & Harly in for the night, put Harly in hutch first then when was getting Honey out of run I accidently caught Harly's toes in the hinge bit.

He's bleeding from his toe (more from claw, can't see any injury on foot, the middle claw on his hind leg), quite a bit. Took him inside and phoned 24hr vet. Bled quite a bit, both on couch then laid him on towel. Vet phoned back, explained situation, said thought was just the claw, clipped the quick, and prob be ok til tomorrow, but she'd phone back in 30mins as bleeding should have stopped by then. Turned towel over so could see how much still bleeding. He sat still for bout 20mins & ate half a huge carrot (I know it's bad but he was sore...........), was only a tiny little patch of blood, the size and shape of his actual claw. Then started hopping about and seemed to start bleeding again, 2 or 3 paw patches on towel, but still not as heavy as before. Vet phoned back, explained again, at this point Harly was licking his foot cleaning it.

She said that was just claw, was catching it as moving about, but bleeding would stop. Said if I'd be happier she'd come in, but didn't think it'd be necessary (as bleeding slowed down loads & stopped for a while, was letting me touch and wipe his foot & claw, eating, & seemd ok apart from being a bit stroppy cuz wanted back out - he nips my clothes when he's had enough of being inside & he was doing this, etc), just to get him to a vets tomorrow. Says if I'm not happy, or if blood is continual drip, to phone her and she'll come straight in, but thought he'd be better back out in his hutch with Honey as once got himself settled for night be ok til 2mo.

Do you think this is ok? Im a bit dubious with vets since 1 told me didnt need VHD vaccs, but she seemed really nice & to know what she was talking about.

Also, I'm supposed to be out the house at 6.45am to go to Uniu and not home til about 1pm, I should just miss it and get him in ASAP shouldn't I????

Im so worried - feel so guilty and awful, my poor boy, its always him anyhting happens to :cry:

It does sound like he's just torn the nail - they can bleed quite a lot if you catch the quick. There's something you can put on to help stem the bleeding called styptic powder or you can just use cornflour.
I couldn't say if it could be anything more serious - I'm not sure - but I would have thought that if he had really hurt his foot he would be holding it up or limping. I should think he will probably be fine :D

Hi there. Sorry to hear what a stressful time you have had. You sound like you have thought it through really well, so don't be hard on yourself. Accidents happen.

I don't have any more advice to offer but you sound like you have everything covered at the moment. Just see how you feel in the morning when you go out to see him and you'll know whether you need to see the vet and stay at home. I know how it feels, I was practically off for a full week worrying and caring for my sick bunny. Just see how you feel in the morning. Maybe you should have a slightly longer lie in, always does the world of good I think!

Let us know how he gets on

Fiona x

They do bleed alot if they catch the claw but it should be fine and by tommorow probably won't be able to see injury :) Unless it's bleeding tommorow no need to rush to vet just keep an eye on it as in heals. If it gets red/sore then need to see vet.

The vet did say, espesh with him having white feet, that an injury like that often looks worse than it is, seemed to be so much blood for such a small bunny tho :cry: , and that by tomorrow, espesh since he was cleaning it, prob wouldnt be able to see it., but he still should be seem just incase needs it removed.

Im pretty much decided I'm not going to go to uni, as it's only 1 lecture but means being away almost 7 hours with travelling time, and I wouldn't live with myself if anything happened.

I feel tempted to go out and check on him again, but she said once he bedded himself down the bleeding would prob stop and I dont want to disturb him by making him move about when I go out, should I just leave him?

I feel so awful as I was out with a friend for dinner tonight and had a few glasses of wine, not drunk but was a little tipsy, so cant help but thinking I would have noticed his claw was caught otherwise :oops: :cry: totally sobered up sharpish when saw the blood tho. It's only 4 degrees here tonight and I was worried about them being cold :cry:

He's going to be just fine :) If you search the archive you'll find it's quite common and they always bleed lots. At least you know what happened :) Most of the panic are where people find lots of blood and can't work out were it came from - you wouldn't have thought a nail could bleed so much!!

You could go peek if you like and make sure he's alright but no need to lift him up, I don't expect that will disturb him too much. He's probably busy anyway :)

It does look like alot of blood but it always seems that way when it's your bunny and they are dripping it everywhere :)

We all have accidents sometimes. I dropped a bunny in a bucket of water once when he wriggled :oops:

Thanks Tamsin, and every1. Think I might jst leave him as when i go out a security light comes on and they always rush to the front thinking they're getting fed, but I have an alarm set for 5.30am anyway to get up for Uni so Ill leave it set and check him then and see what I think. I'll let you know how it goes :)

Just caught up with this thread, hope he's ok this morning. Don't feel guilty, accidents happen.

w/ that much blood, make sure to ask your vet if antibiotics is needed. Most likely you do.

I did ask last night if I should put some anti-biotic gel on as had some in house frm before, but she said no not at tht stage to leave it til seem today as maybe a bit sore. Will ask tho. Got appointment this afternoon.

Did go out to check on him last night, couldn't resist, foot still bloody but no new spots of blood in hutch (it's going to need a good scrub today tho - there's spots of blood up the walls even, must have been when he was stamping his feet when first did it :cry: ), went out this morning and his foot is all clean, no blood at all, but the claw seems to be more prominent then the rest, so made appointment for vet just to make sure not broken at nail bed.

Going to just take Honey as well and get the 2 of them a check-over, and think they are maybe needing claws clipped anyway. Ill let you know how it goes.

Thanks everyone.

Bobby did this the other day. I felt terrible as he caught his foot on the edge of the run when I picked him up :oops: :cry: He bled for a little bit, I cleaned it up and he was running about within minutes. It's a bit of a shock though, isn't it?

Totally, it's frightening. He bled for bout half an hour - my hutch is a combi with the hutch up on top of run, and front half of run opens up at top, so there's the edge of the hutch then a hinge, I was really silly - put Harly in hutch, left hutch door wide open and lifted run to get Honey, then dropped the run lid down not realising Harly'd been right out on the edge of the hutch and his claw was stuck, he jumped as if to go back in2 hutch and I realised he was stuck and lifted run again so could get out, it was really quick but I think when he jumped he tugged it at the base, it seems to be really standing up and further out than the others today.

I feel so sorry for him - he's the one who loves coming for cuddles and always runs over to see me (Honey's more in2 being stroked than cuddled, and is a bit less forthcoming), he's so trusting of me and it's always poor him who gets hurt. Before I had them neutered they had a fight and he got a big cut on his head and needed stitches, then I had him in 1 of them rabbit harness things in the garden (its not safe without 1, too many cats) with an extendable dogs lead attached to it cuz thought was giving him more freedom, but still keeping him safe, and it snapped and he got all tangled up in it, and although wasnt injured he screamed - it was awful, worst sound ever, and now this. My poor wee man :(

Just back from vets, took Honey as well as though they could do with their claws clipping anyway.

Harly has broken a claw right off at the quick, and his toes a bit bruised and sore, but he has not damaged the nail bed and the claw will grow back without her needing to do anything to it. Says he doesnt need anti-bios or anything.

Says their claws were a bit over-grown which wouldn't have helped :oops: (when I had them in at the end of June there was hardly anything there to cut so thought I'd leave it a bit longer this time, she says Ive left it a couple of weeks too long tho), and when she was doing Honey's she found 1 of his which was also broken, but hadn't been to quick as had been no blood, I;m out with them every day and never noticed it, but had happened a little while ago as had a scab on the end :oops: :cry: .

Says they are generally in good condition, lovely coats and teeth, but are getting a little on the plump side and I should cut their pellets back from 3 small handfuls between them a day to 2, and just to keep an eye on their claws.

Im a little annoyed TBH as I said when I went in that they didnt like getting their claws clipped last time, Harly wriggled a couple of times but was ok, I told her Honey would be worse as he doesnt like being picked up (he doesnt like strangers either, if I go out he'll come right up to the side of the run for a stroke, but if my bf's been away for a couple of weeks he backs off from him for the first 3 or 4 days and wont come near). Honey got himself into a right state, he was making funny panting and growly noises and struggling like mad. He was kicking and wriggling and was up of the table in the air with her still holding him. When I offered to hold his nape, and rubed his nose he was fine and let her finish. I was on the verge of telling her just to stop before that, it was so upsetting, but I knew he needed to have it done.

Then she asked me if I handled them regularly, in the tone that says 'you don't' even tho it's meant to be a question, I explained that yes I spent time with them every day, but Honey hated being picked up, he will lie and let you stroke him but doesnt like being lifted, and that he hadnt liked getting his nails clipped the time before either.

Generally, I left feeling like the worst bunny mummy in the world, I know I make mistakes, like letting their claws grow a little too long and over-feeding them slightly, but these are my first rabbits, they're only young and Im just learning - Im doing my best :cry: :( :cry: :( :cry: :(

Aww, I'm sure the vet didn't mean to imply that and if she did well she doesn't know what they're like at home. Lot's of bunnies act up at the vets - just to embarise their owner I think :lol:

A little plumpness is easily fixed by reducing the pellets. I like mine to be a little plump over winter so they have extra insulation anyway.

You'll know now roughly how soon the claws need doing :) If you don't like the vets technique for claw clipping is there a rescue or grooming parlour near by sometimes they'll do for you :)

I think your a great owner! You're really proactive when it comes to their welfare and feeling guilty is just because you care so much :)

Tam

Aww don't feel bad, you're just learning like me. You are a good owner, otherwise you wouldn't feel so awful and they know you love them.

They do change once at the vets don't they? I took MJ to the vets on Tues for a jab and he's usually laid back and cuddly and no problem to pick up and he just freaked out at the vets. Really really stressed and struggled, she said 'this one doesn't like being held does he?', which just goes to show how they behave at the vets is not like they behave at home. In contrast Pippa who's normally feisty and doesn't like being picked up goes into 'rabbit in headlights' mode and goes so far into the carrier I think she hopes no one knows she's there!

Hi! Glad your wee baby is alright!

You are obviously a great owner so don't be hard on yourself!

My bunnies behave like they are wild hares at the vet!! It is embarrassing isn't it. I'm sure the vets just say things like that just for something to say because they have to make conversation with us owners when we are stressed!

Fiona :D

Sometimes I think vets just like to give a lecture/ care advice regardless of who you are or the state of the bunny. One vet at our practice is like this, and I tyr to avoid seeing him. Although he knows his stuff he goes over the same things every single time ( he must recognise me - I'm there often enough!) I just stand and nod now. :wink:

HS said:
Sometimes I think vets just like to give a lecture/ care advice regardless of who you are or the state of the bunny. One vet at our practice is like this, and I tyr to avoid seeing him. Although he knows his stuff he goes over the same things every single time ( he must recognise me - I'm there often enough!) I just stand and nod now. :wink:

There is one of those at our vets too, although now I think she knows that I pretty much know what I'm doing and is fine. When she first saw me, she was telling me everything I knew already and she would never really coo over the buns. Now that she knows me and I'm not an owner who neglects them, she coos over the buns and has stopped telling me things I know already :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lucyj Sophie lost a nail too and it bled, these things happen, don't worry about it! It grew back fine! :D

Back