• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What is in his fur? UPDATED - They're moving!!

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
Hi,
My buns have great timing - I'm supposed to be leaving to get to a wedding in the morning, and have noticed Archie has little brown & black flecks in his fur, I suppose they're like little dots.

He is white so they are noticeable if i part his fur. I can't see them moving, so wasn't sure if they are mites/ signs of fleas. His skin is fine otherwise, apart from getting really muddy off all this rain :roll:

Are these some type of little beasties that i need to get rid of? I've got some Bob Martin Mite spray, is it worth giving them a preventative spray anyway?

not sure if it is the same but with dogs when they get specks like that it could be flea dirt ne thing to try is get a piece of damp WHITE kitchem roll put some of these specks on the paper then fold the paper in half and squeese together then open it and look at the specks if they have a brownish red smudge round them they are most likely flea poop.
just an idea
also dont mean to sound stupid but if he has been out in the rain could it not just be dirt/mud?? :? :?: :?

abi
teegra and duchess

I thought maybe that, as his feet and tail are very muddy, but these are "in" his fur rather than just on the ends and they do seem dry and very small.

I'll try getting hold of him - he is a wriggly fella - and try the kitchen roll thing!

Thanks!!

OMG - They're moving!! :shock:

O/H reckons they're not fleas, they're smaller than that and have no visible legs, but were wriggling, not jumping?

So are these Fur Mites? Whats the best treatment for them? My parents will be pleased when we bring home two rabbits plus lodgers!!

There is some spot-on treatments available for small animals for fleas - I haven't used them but there was a recent topic about possible side effects (never use cat/dog stuff as it can kill rabbits). Mites you would be less likely to see as they are so small but it could be lice. If you have time swing by the vets as mites need ivermectin given by injection.

Have a read of this to see if you can narrow it down:

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/skin.htm

Caz

hi..have you heard theres two ivemectin drop on treatments? one is by xenex..not the old spot on stuff but a ivermectin one and its very expensive!
Also theres one by beaphar..its available at pets at home i have read but alos here and its cheaper!
by the way wasnt any good to bertie..hes a french lop..id have had to had a huge shipment of the stuff! :lol:

http://petshop4rodents.co.uk/petsho...25810?osCsid=49779fc8dc890c0352713a865db49d3b

and here

http://www.ultimateanimals.co.uk/acatalog/Nestex_ferret_hutch_cover_hugger_rabbit.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xeno 450 Spot On with Ivermectin
Ivermectin Spot On for Rabbits, Guinea Pigs and Ferrets only. No more nasty needles! Contains 6 Spot On tubes that will prevent and treat external parasites including fur mites, ear mites, mange mites, heartworm and lice.

DO NO USE IN OTHER ANIMALS OTHER THAN THOSE INDICATED.
Click for dosage guide

Price: £23.37 (Including VAT at 17.5%)

mmm beaphar it is then! :shock:

Well I've used the Bob Martin Mite Spray and after a few days they'd disappeared completely. I also sprayed the hutch with a cage spray and fingers crossed my buns don't have their own "pets" any more!

From the link Caz left, I thought it could be Fur Mites as their skin is fine, no dandruff or soreness, unless they're lice, which I cant find much info on.

Anyway they're free from whatever they were - and Archie really enjoyed having the spray rubbed into his fur, his teeth were purring all the time! Think we finally bonded!! :D

Back