• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and Cats ??

chloaster

Warren Veteran
Simple question - can / do rabbits and cats get on ok? I've never had cats so was wondering what your experiences were those of you who have/had the two. Thanks

Up until this past week I would have said that rabbits - at least medium or larger adult rabbits had nothing to fear from cats. However this week I have witnessed an all out scrap between next doors cat and my Blackberry and heard from someone I was home checking that their rabbit died of shock after their neighbour's cat got in the run and tore its eye apart :cry:

I am now having to raise the height of my fences to keep this **** animal out of my garden :x It comes in at night too and makes them all stamp :x I know it that one because it has a little bell that anounces its presense :roll:

yes, they can get on:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=30938&highlight=rabbit+cat

Audrey and Worm get on, and Worm was always very good with your Beatles and the rabbits i've had previously. (I think you saw the photos of Worm and the beatles?)

BUT, I do think its important that they learn from the start not to harm them- when Worm first saw rabbits she was a bit too interested in them- she chased them a couple of times, but a few shouts and hand claps from me stopped her doing this and she soon grew bored.

At the moment, I have to watch Audrey and Worm together- not for Audrey's safety, but Worm's :lol: Audrey is obsessed with trying to assert her dominance by humping Worm and im a bit worried that one of them may get hurt.

When the rabbits were having a run around the garden, occassionally neighbouring cats would stalk them. I know its not very nice, but I would throw some water on them if i caught them doing it and they soon learnt.

In short, I think in a household they can get on well, but cats need to be taught from the beginning that they are not 'dinner' or toys.

Thanks for your replies folks! I did think of you Mandy and hoped you were around. :D Possible home for two of my free ads buns but the lady asked how I thought they'd get on with her cats. Will have a chat with her and take it from there.

Well in my house its pretty mixed, Davros my buck is very confident around the cat and charges up to him and gives him a good sniff.. and usually chases poor olly our ginger tom out. But poor Minnie our new little doe is petrified of olly. She is a very shy rabbit.. and i think olly can tell and pushes his luck with her.
Naughty kitty

My rabbits would normally have tourmented Jake (our old cat), they chase him and sniff hiss bum (which funnily enough Jake didn't like), we would normally have to let Jake out of the room as he used to get a bit stressed. Out rabbits are normally outside rabbits and certainly neither our cat or our neighbours cats have ever caused them any hassle when they are safe in their hutches or runs. I know Mickey one of our old rabbits used the follow Jake as he walked around the run. The biggest problem I used to have is with jealousy, they would both want to sit on my knee at the same time, and there simply isn't room!!! :lol: :lol:

Wouldn't ever leave them alone together, wouldn't trust them that much.

My cat is frightend of my lot... but then my cat has also been known to be spooked by a bit of grass that tickeled her leg as she walked across the lawn! :lol:

My cat is quite frightened of my two seeing as they are about the same size of him and are a lot tougher (my cat is the biggest softie ever born! :lol: ). He does get on pretty well with them though and always lies in the sun outside their run! :wink:
ollierabbits.jpg

Back