• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccination on same day as neuter?

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
My vet says it is ok to do a vaccination on the same day as a neuter as long as its after the op (if i heard correctly!)

If you dont agree with this, how soon after the neuter can the vacc be given?

(Audrey just needs VHD now, and it would be easier to get it done today, or at the check up in a couple of days because the vets is quite a distance.)

a vaccine shoudl NOT be done on th esame day as a neuter and shoudl wait at least two weeks before doing it and two week between vaccines so the immune system is NOT compromised otherwise it will NOT take effect!

Eve x

I would leave at least a week - it's likely to be ineffective if the animal is unwell or had any other kind of procedure, as it requires a good immune response to be effective. A bun which has just been neutered will be busy repairing and fighting off any infection from the wound so the vaccine probably won't generate enough immune response to work.

thank you, i just called up to say not to and the receptionisit spoke to the vet, who said they wouldnt have done it anyway...

Yeah I def agree, at work we don't give a vaccination during the 5 days before or after an op as it won't be as effective.

Back