• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eeyore died last night and now I need advice for snuffly bun

houndour

Warren Scout
I'm not sure where to start. Just got home from our honeymoon early this morning to be told Eeyore was at the vets, unfortunately we got a call at 8am to say he didn't make it through the night. I haven't seen the vet yet, but I'm assuming it was a result of the pasteurella. Eeyore has suffered badly from it and has has a couple of close calls in the 18 months we've had him.

I don't think anyone understands around me (apart from husband) as I don't feel that people consider a rabbit like a cat or a dog, but for me the grief is the same as when I lost my dog of 14 years.

Right now all I can think about is Twiggy, she's been alone for over 24 hours now and she seems to be OK for now. Eeyores been at the vet before without her. I just don't know what to do, if I should be thinking of getting her a companion. My husband and I work 5 days a week, although between us we are home 3 days a week. But I can't bear for her to be alone at night and during the day.

She has snuffles though, so I'm not sure what to do. She hasn't suffered at all from it yet. She just sneezes occassionally but has never been ill from it.

I guess I need some direction here. I'm not sure whats best for twiggy.

Oh I am so, so sorry to hear about Eeyore :(
I have had to cope with a few bereaved Bunnies recently and I honestly think they need a bit of time alone to come to terms with their loss.
This time may be anything from a few days to a few weeks.

With regard to Twiggy's snuffles I know a few Rescues have bunnies known to have had an active infection in the past. So maybe, when Twiggy seems ready, you could approach a few Rescues re adopting a Bun known to have had snuffles in the past.

Is Twiggy an outdoor Bun?
If so might she be able to come indoors in the coolest room of the house so she at least has as much contact with you as possible.

It is hard enough coping with your own grief. But seeing a bereaved Bun grieve too is heartbreaking.... :cry:

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
Oh I am so, so sorry to hear about Eeyore :(
I have had to cope with a few bereaved Bunnies recently and I honestly think they need a bit of time alone to come to terms with their loss.
This time may be anything from a few days to a few weeks.

With regard to Twiggy's snuffles I know a few Rescues have bunnies known to have had an active infection in the past. So maybe, when Twiggy seems ready, you could approach a few Rescues re adopting a Bun known to have had snuffles in the past.

Is Twiggy an outdoor Bun?
If so might she be able to come indoors in the coolest room of the house so she at least has as much contact with you as possible.

It is hard enough coping with your own grief. But seeing a bereaved Bun grieve too is heartbreaking.... :cry:

Janex

What can I expect from Twiggy? The problem is, Eeyore was the more loving of the 2 and he used to come into the house and try to make little escapes to different parts of the house. He was the cheeky little monkey. Twiggy is more reserved. She likes a stroke but she never comes inside. They have a 'shack' at the back of the kitchen which is unheated, but the door opens up into the kitchen/living room. So the opportunity is there for her to come in. But she loves it outside so we mainly let them outside in the playhouse/run when we are in. I guess thats why we've not bonded so well with them.

At the moment she is hiding in her box and eating rather a lot of hay. She's offish with me at the moment which is understandable as I haven't seen her for 2 weeks.

How will I know if she's ready for a a new friend? These are the first bunnies I've ever had so it's all very new. It's also the first time we've been away from them, sods law that I suppose.

So sorry to here about Eeyore. Sending big hugs to you and snuggles to Twiggy.
Bobby has been bereaved twice, and each time, he just looked really down, he barely moved and just slept a lot. In each instance, he had a new partner within a week. He's not a people bunny at all, and I knew that I was no substitute for a bunny friend.
Hope you sort it out.

Back