• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

LANCASHIRE French Lops (oops!)

Rogue

Banned
Since my posts are becoming a little obvious now, I've decided to ask whether anyone has had any dealings with Leicester French Lops. I have emailed them with my interest, and they also do a little "starter pack" of interesting and useful bits and bobs for £20. Of course, I wouldn't like to over-look rescued buns, but I have totally fallen for the idea of an opal-butterfly frenchie, and she has a little boy that will be ready in a month, which will give me plenty of time to get my home ready. Has anyone bought a bunny from them before, or know anything about them? Their website looks very good, and the lady who runs it seems friendly and knowledgeable (well, certainly more so than I am! Knowledgeable, that is, as I am very friendly! :lol: ). Her rabbits look beautiful and well looked after, and she was very concerned that I would ensure that any bunny I got would have his jabs and since I am certainly not experienced enough to breed (and never would), that he also had "the chop".

Any thoughts?

Have you done a search on RR to see if there's any Frenchies listed? There's been a lot on here recently :( .

I guess if you do decide to do the breeder route, just make sure they a good one :D

there are a few at kirkby pet welfare too! (Nottinghamshire so nearer to you too)

Click on the link in my siggy to see them

I do not know anything about Leicester French Lops Sorry! But just to say I got George, a blue butterfly French Lop from Ross Rabbits and he has been wonderful.

The lady from there is a hobbyist breeder who breeds her lops as pets and has bred to maintain her lines ( no interbreeding or showing) for 30 years. Most of the babies she keeps for herself, but she has a waiting list if there are any babies available.
Like the lady you have mentioned, she has been wonderful, she devotes her life to her rabbits and has taught me so much about rabbits. I was a complete beginer and without her help and this forum I don't know what I'd have done. She continues to give any advice and support she can.

George has been an absolute delight. He is a freerange house bun, he was 99% litter trained when I got him and is 100% now. He is so tame loving friendly and such a character. I do put most of this down to Ross rabbits breeding, and her rearing of her buns.
I did feel guilty after finding this site that I didn't have a rescue rabbit, but to be honest as I was new to rabbit ownership and learning, I still think that for my first rabbit I made the right decission, and through him being so adorable I have been able to learn and practice things without too much difficulty, which puts me in a better position to be able to consider a rescue rabbit or maybe rabbits in the future.
I have to say though, even though I do hope to have rescue rabbits, I think would always go back to Ross rabbits for my French Lop house rabbit, as he is so amazing.

If your breeder and her Lops are half as good as the owner of Ross rabbits and her buns, you will not be dissapointed. Good luck and I hope to hear an update.

There is an butterfly doe on RR who is desperately seeking a home and two french lop cross sisters, who are beautiful.

Yes, its lovely to have a baby rabbit but I had to put my French Lop girl's needs above my desire to have a beautiful cuddly baby rabbit and they were desperate for my intervention.

My two french lop sisters came initially from a breeder of french lops and were kept in a ferret hutch for one year of their life without a run by someone I knew. They are adorable and, although they came with baggage when I first had them and were skittish, they have become like two small dogs in my house and are very social now.

My writing the above is not to criticize anyone who has been to a breeder for a french lop as its all about individual choice and awareness and the saying, each to their own, is my standing in life. I would, however, feel I was remiss if I didn't say to "consider" a rescue french lop or cross. Whatever direction you take, like all rabbits they are gorgeous.

Ooops, it's actually LANCASHIRE French Lops, NOT Leicester!

Thanks for your thoughts. I can't find a blue french male on RR :cry: Does anyone have the link?

My main problem really is the distance side of things. I think Lancashire is still a bit too far, and it's only about three hours by car. Since I don't have a full drivers license, I would either have to persude a family member or friend to collect (unlikely), pay for a courier or try to arrange a bunny run. What I don't want is a bonded pair, as I'm still hopeful that my Bramble will be found, but I will set myself a realistic timescale and get a new companion if she doesn't find her way back to me. For the same reason, I'd prefer a buck to a doe.

Just to put the record straight, I am not discounting rescued bunnies, but I am keeping my options open. I appreciate that some of you feel very strongly about breeders, but all I ask is that this thread not turn into a breeders vs rescues argument. I was just asking for comments about this particular place.
I'm not getting a baby because they're cute :wink: , and I appreciate that older rabbits need homes and love as well. However, recently found myself rabbit-less, I intend to keep my next bunny for a long, long time. I only wondered if anyone had ever dealt with or heard of them before (would have helped if I'd actually used the right "L" word!)

I've been to Lancashire French Lops and met Shirley. Her set up is very good, she's a rabbit nut too and started off with French Lop pets and branched out into breeding. Her buns are kept in huge cages and let out for exercise and she's so far away from the 'back street breeder' that you can imagine.

When you go to visit you're there ages as she introduces you to every bun individually and she obviously cares a lot for them. I'm sure she won't mind me saying, but GemmaH has got her two French Lops from Shirley and has been very happy with them, her baby boy Jasper is the cutest most laid back bunny ever.

I don't think 3 hours is too far to travel for the right bun. Perhaps you could 'buy' a French Lop and if Bramble doesn't come home (I hope she does :( ) you could rescue a Frenchie to bond with. Gemma and I have had our eyes on a blue French cross at Kirby in Ashfield who looks lovely.

Hiya

Honey & Jasper both came from Lancashire French Lops. Shirley is really lovely and will give you lots of advice & support even after you have brought the rabbit home. Her rabbits are all beautiful and she devotes all her time to them. We've visited several times and she always makes you feel welcome and takes the time to show you her rabbits, if you were to choose to take on a baby rather than a rescue rabbit I would recommend Lancashire French Lops.

Gemma x

sharond said:
I do not know anything about Leicester French Lops Sorry! But just to say I got George, a blue butterfly French Lop from Ross Rabbits and he has been wonderful.

The lady from there is a hobbyist breeder who breeds her lops as pets and has bred to maintain her lines ( no interbreeding or showing) for 30 years. Most of the babies she keeps for herself, but she has a waiting list if there are any babies available.
Like the lady you have mentioned, she has been wonderful, she devotes her life to her rabbits and has taught me so much about rabbits. I was a complete beginer and without her help and this forum I don't know what I'd have done. She continues to give any advice and support she can.

George has been an absolute delight. He is a freerange house bun, he was 99% litter trained when I got him and is 100% now. He is so tame loving friendly and such a character. I do put most of this down to Ross rabbits breeding, and her rearing of her buns.
I did feel guilty after finding this site that I didn't have a rescue rabbit, but to be honest as I was new to rabbit ownership and learning, I still think that for my first rabbit I made the right decission, and through him being so adorable I have been able to learn and practice things without too much difficulty, which puts me in a better position to be able to consider a rescue rabbit or maybe rabbits in the future.
I have to say though, even though I do hope to have rescue rabbits, I think would always go back to Ross rabbits for my French Lop house rabbit, as he is so amazing.

If your breeder and her Lops are half as good as the owner of Ross rabbits and her buns, you will not be dissapointed. Good luck and I hope to hear an update.

I never ever post on here because of people's attitude to breeders. I know Karen very well. She loves her rabbits and many other people I know who breed rabbits are not like the lady you describe - ie tarring show breeders with the same brush. People show cats, dogs, mice, hamsters, rats, chinchillas, guinea pigs and you cannot change the world. Some breeders also rescue. Many name their rabbits and they are lovingly treated - just because you have seen one breeder doesn't mean all the other ones are like that. Maybe she hadn't fed them yet when you were there.
I know there are several show breeders on here too and no wonder they don't go on here much as this site is not as united as people think it is. Mostly you are rescues and pet owners and I can see at times where you are coming from but many many people tend to assume things on this forum about other people/hobbies etc!! Many breeders have extensive knowledge of rabbits veterinary and foodwise. Their knowledge of rabbit language is really good. Many let their bunnies out in large runs and don't just "get rid" of rabbits because they didn't make the show grade. Rabbit are not just baby making machines either to some.
I'm not going to say any more on this thread nor reply to any posts that will come up. There are loads of breeders like Karen out there - you just need to do your homework and look. The most important thing is that whereever you get your rabbit from is that it has a loving, caring home.

woodleyrabbit said:
sharond said:

I never ever post on here because of people's attitude to breeders. I know Karen very well. She loves her rabbits and many other people I know who breed rabbits are not like the lady you describe - ie tarring show breeders with the same brush. People show cats, dogs, mice, hamsters, rats, chinchillas, guinea pigs and you cannot change the world. Some breeders also rescue. Many name their rabbits and they are lovingly treated - just because you have seen one breeder doesn't mean all the other ones are like that. Maybe she hadn't fed them yet when you were there.
I know there are several show breeders on here too and no wonder they don't go on here much as this site is not as united as people think it is. Mostly you are rescues and pet owners and I can see at times where you are coming from but many many people tend to assume things on this forum about other people/hobbies etc!! Many breeders have extensive knowledge of rabbits veterinary and foodwise. Their knowledge of rabbit language is really good. Many let their bunnies out in large runs and don't just "get rid" of rabbits because they didn't make the show grade. Rabbit are not just baby making machines either to some.
I'm not going to say any more on this thread nor reply to any posts that will come up. There are loads of breeders like Karen out there - you just need to do your homework and look. The most important thing is that whereever you get your rabbit from is that it has a loving, caring home.

Its a shame you feel you dont want to post on here,but thats up to you. There are so many horror stories about breeders that it is bound to colour some peoples views of breeding.

For me it doesnt come down to the conditions they are kept in- I personally dont like breeding as a whole, as i do not agree with the sale of a life for profit.

Just because someone is a 'good' breeder, it does not mean one of their rabbits wont end up in rescue at some point down the line, and add to the statistic of over 30,000 needing homes.

Back