• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Setting Up A House Bun

Rogue

Banned
Does anyone have a good list of what is required for setting up a house rabbit? I've got down the basics, i.e. water bottles, feed dishes, feed, hay, hay rack, a bed, a carrier case, cage/pen, a bed, a litter tray.... is there anything else? And can anyone recommend particular types/styles?

Nobody? :eek: If nothing else, a list of what everyone else bought when they set up their bunnies would be useful to avoid missing something important.

When mine were inside I had pretty much the same as I had outside. The main xtra things I suppose is stuff to protect wires etc from being chewed. I know lots of people use dog crates as a base. The only thing I used that was different to now was in their litter tray, I used to use carefresh as it deoderised the smell

I use a dog crate as a base, though I am removing this slowly as Asta spends more time free range. When the dog crate is eventually phased out, she'll have a corner with water, litter tray etc.

With regard to bunny proofing, I've been lucky so far as Asta has shown no inclination to climb, chew or dig! :D I have protected all wires with plastic tubing (from the garden centre, intended for pond pumps i think) and have blocked off some areas (e.g. behind the television) with argos storage cube panels.

If you have laminate/wood flooring, it would be good to get a rug/mat for some of the floor. Asta manages fine on the laminate, but she can't get much speed up! She likes to race around on the rug (and do the occasional binky) but then is fine to hop at a more sedate speed on the laminate.

Hope this helps and good luck with the litter training :D

dog crate, pen, litter tray, blankets (for floor covering), newspaper (under the blankets, lots of toys, cable protectors, food bowl or treat ball, food, hay,bed (box, small dog bed etc), cage cleaner, possibly a large blanket to cover her/his cage just until s/he settles down

hope that helps and i have probably forgotten a load of stuff lol

abi
teegra and duchess

hya depends on how big a bunny youre getting?
Litter pans..not just for indoor cage/dog crate but several around the place so accidents arent as frequent as they dont have to run far..once house training is ok you can reduce the number but i would have at least one either end of the lounge!
I used to favour those high back corner ones but ive sworn by the one n bunny basics..the ferplast trio one for £11.99 fits up to 3 buns at the same time or a french lop! no peeing over the edge with this one!
A largeish rabbit crock bowl one for food one for water..and try the freestanding hay manger/rack from bunny basics..i swear by it..or else use a dinner plate with a heap of it on..on top of plastic mat.
I used piping from maplin electronics..looks like narrow hoover pipe! And the odd length of plumbing pipe! But fave right now is from wilkinsons..its foam pipe insulating tubes..for the flexi spots!
also a soft pet rug like the vet bed ones they absorb any wee accidents right to the bottom leaving the top dry and keep em warm and toasty..or even a cat igloo bed..they love them!
as many carboard boxes as you can have with windows and doors cut out..and pop hay inside daily..they love them!
Toys..clean stuffed toys are a fave to snuggle up with wash and hump! We have clean youghurt pots for throwing..old footballs for nosing along at great speed! wooden sticks..a "jingleball" like a giant cat jingle ball..buns adore them!
We have bought pet rattles/throw toys but if youre in a charity or cheap shop and diascover those hard plastic teething keys then buy them..bunnies love these the best!
its esential to have a baby gate if theres a problem with them geting out the door..try covering it with mesh first tho!
at a push go dig out an old extending fireguard from the charity shops/local tip.theyre great for bunny proofing!
go to buny basics and bug the bitter lime spray if they have any in..it stopped chair muncher bif in her tracks!!
straw mats from bb or the hay experts..willow balls etc anything to munch and throw!
they love tunnels and boxes make excellent tunnels..need a opening at eith end of course!
a crate or cage is essential or lino covered area until house breaking is successful! then you leave the door open for them to go snooze in eat drink in etc and come out again ont heir own..they feel thay have their own bedroom then!
youll need food like the one the bunny is alrady on as it takes at least 10 days to wean animals from one to another food wise..good hay and dried grasses..like timothy hay..meadow hay from bb and dried grass especially spillers dried readigrass..its a fave with most buns..
for cleaning id recommend a dustpan and brush just for straw and poo..a cat litter scoop for the tray..a bottle of cascade antibacterial cleaner..its fantastic doesnt even stain carpets! rolls and rols of kitchen towel especially during housetraining! an empty clean trigger sparay bottle..fill it with white vinegar..asdas own etc..its the only thing that dissolves up bunny wee!! then you can use warm w ater a cloth and the cascade stuff!
i use kitty wood pelleted litter with russell rabit bedding n a deepish layer on top then a layer at one end of hay etc..ive used megasorb..eww dont like the smell! but kitty litter seems better suited to bertie big bum! (french lop)
those pet playpens are a godsend!

our house bun has a dog crate as a base, litter tray toys, vet bed, water bottle, food bowel and thats it, she's free range but she's also very well behaived xx

George is now pretty much free range, so I don't have a cage, but I do put a baby gate across the door of one room when I go out and at night to prevent him from going everywhere in the house.

When he first arrived, he had a big indoor cage with a pen attached. All the things you have already said, plus plenty of toys and tunnels.
My husband boxed in all wires so that was the most major thing to do, but didn't take him long.

I have found those utility cubes from Argos have been great to create barriers in certain place you don't want them to go, I have them in a V shape at each end of the sofa to stop him going behind there.
The pen I bought can be shaped into lots of different ways, so it can be a barrier fence or a complete pen, this was really usefull to stop him getting places he shouldn't when he was smaller, now he's bigger, older and neutered it's not such an issue as he's really good.

Another thing I found great were the seagrass mats from the 'hay experts'
I used to put them in the corners of the room so if he did fancy a chew or a dig then it was them and not the carpet. If he used to scratch at the carpet, I'd clap my hands say No and give him a mat to chew, seemed to do the trick.

I now just use the utility cubes made into a corner shape, to hang his water bottle on whch is stood on a big tray in a corner, he has his bowl of food a hay rack a catbed with towel and fleece blanket in, his litter tray and plenty of toys and upturned wicer baskets etc to jump on and he seems happy as larry. :D

Back