• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore 'down below'

kayjay

Warren Veteran
I took MJ for his VHD jab today and got the vet to check Pippa as I thought she'd lost weight (she hasn't). I also got vet to check her 'bits' as they look swollen despite being spayed a couple of months ago.

The vet's given me some Fucidin cream for once a day after bathing it with boiled cooled water. Just wondered if anyone had any ideas/advice on this? MJ does chase her a bit, could he have caused this? Vet said it was possible but I don't know how to stop him. They do love each other loads so seperating them is not an option.

Thanks xx

hi,just a thought but is there an unpleasant smell and goo round her bits?its just i used to have to bathe elvie-woo regularly as she got older simply because she got infections in her folds around her nethers.

mimi75 said:
hi,just a thought but is there an unpleasant smell and goo round her bits?its just i used to have to bathe elvie-woo regularly as she got older simply because she got infections in her folds around her nethers.

No there's no smell, the vet just wrote 'inflamed vulva', just looks red and swollen

Anyone else has any ideas regarding this? :D

I've just put the cream on and my son said it was 'utterly gross' :lol:

Alice had sore looking smelly bits a while ago and we thought it may be bunny thrush. The vet gave me some hibiscrub first, which I diluted, to take away any bacteria that may be there, which I used for a few days. This seemed to clear away the smell but she still looked sore.

I took her back and she was given fuciderm which I used for 5 days and it seemed to clear up all the redness.

The smell didn't come from the folds of her bits. It was more like some cheesy stuff that had collected around them. The vets put it down to her being too warm (when the weather was really hot), so they shaved her bits and that seemed to cure it once and for all. :shock:

Hope that helps!

Gemma

Hi

Have just been to the vets with Princess to get her teeth done and the vet noticed her 'bits' are swollen. It doesn't hurt her though and vet said it was fluidy. The vet isn't sure what is wrong + to keep an eye on her. Obv talked about atypical Myxi but wondered if there are any other causes? I wondered if she had reacted to a plant? I have been away for the past few weeks so don't know how long it has been there.

Thanks for any help.

Nicola

Gosh this thread is old, saying that Pippa still has swollen bits that are a bit crusty. The vet doesn't really know what it is but it's not got worse, in fact has improved and doesn't bother her so we're happy to keep an eye on it.

Hope Princess gets well soon xx

Back