• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Opinions on what to do with lonely rescue pig please

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
Sorry a guinea pig question in rabbit chat.
I asked this on theguineapigforum too, but there was rather a mixed opinion and as theres a few guinea rescues on here thought id see what you all thought too :)

My little freeads pig Max was due to go to his new home soon:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=28809

Unfortunately he can no longer go to this home..... and it could take a while still to rehome him and i am worried about how lonely he is.

So I have been thinking about getting him a friend and homing them together (unfortunately the 2 female pigs at Kirkby i had in mind are now homed :? ) but i could look on freeads or somewhere instead.

What do you think? Should he stay single and therefore potentially easier to rehome, however long it takes? Or should i get him a friend for his remaining time with me?

thanks

I suppose the other possibility is to send him off to a rescue, where he can live with some girls until he finds a home. :?

Aww poor Max.... If I had room I would offer Max a lovely indoor home, as hes such a handsome piggie but sadly I am full up too.

I have my fingers crossed a home comes along soon or you do find him a companion for him.

Hugs to Max

Deb x

could you please pm me a list of guineapigger requirements that you suggest, ie cage sizes etc? at the moment i have nothing set up but it wont take too long to set up something temporary. but i dont want to make something up and find it not suitable for you requirements :D
i say temporary as i am shortly going to raise the 12 foot crate up so the buns can play underneath and then piggies can have the crate, i assume 12 foot will be sufficient? :lol: :lol: plenty of space for a little harem for him 8)
though as i said it is going to take a little while to sort, so if a good home comes along in the meantime i dont mind, there will always be some piggers in rescue i'm sure :wink:
oh and if some friends should happen to come along for him i will home those too!

I would never rehome a pig on its own. If youve a male then i would either get another male or get him done and pair him up with a female. Male pairing can sometimes be done its a question of having two laid back pigs. This i find works well and they get on. Its always a pain having one pig in rescue but i find its not long before you have another come in :lol: . val

You say that staying single makes him potentially easier to home. I'm not sure, if I was looking for a guinea pig I would want two. With him being neutered him and his girlfriend could be introduced to existing female pigs (I think) so I don't see why pairing him up would make him less desirable for rehoming. I'd have him, but I've got 3 boys already and am going to add some girls to my family as soon as I can afford to.

taylor v 109 said:
I would never rehome a pig on its own. If youve a male then i would either get another male or get him done and pair him up with a female. Male pairing can sometimes be done its a question of having two laid back pigs. This i find works well and they get on. Its always a pain having one pig in rescue but i find its not long before you have another come in :lol: . val

Val Ive had him neutered so he can have some girlfriends- sorry I meant that sometimes people are looking for a companion for their lonely girl pig, so they may specifically want a single pig to pair theirs up with, and may be put off if they're a pair.

Id never let him live on his own.

Back