• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Allen & Page

Apache

Mama Doe
I've been introducing this for 3 weeks now, mixing it with the SS, and decided to give them both 100% A&P pellets this morning, and the result, both of them have left half their pellets!

Anyone else had this happen?

Jx

Yep - mine were alright with A&P when it was mixed, but it would only be eaten when there was nothing else.

When I ran out of SS they just left the A&P. I held out for a couple of days, cos sometimes doing this encourages them to it eat, but had to go back to SS.

Mine did this too, but soon got used to it. To be honest i saw it as a good thing that they didnt like it as much- they ate more hay as a consequence.

My two never did eat the A&P and I ended up donating the sack to the local RSPCA. They picked about at it, but I went back to SS and now Teddy has refused that for a few weeks so he's having Excel now, which he absolutely loves. Poppy is still having SS, so I have to buy two different pellets now! I suppose they're like humans really, some prefer one type, others prefer another! Claire x

Thanks - although I've just been back and checked and they have both eaten up now.. At first I was worried Alfred was ill (his nickname is "the dyson"), but he's been eating his hay.

I think I'll revert back to the mix again, then gradually try and ween them back to A&P (as I've just bought a sack of the stuff!)

They are all individuals aren't they - bless them!

Jx

On this subject, how much should I feed my two buns?

They are outdoor buns, 11 weeks and 3 days old. I've been feeding them greens and/or carrot in the mornings (e.g. 6 - 8 small brussel sprouts, or 3 or 4 large cabbage leaves, or 1 medium sized carrot between them), sometimes with a few sprigs of herbs and some grass/dandelions, they are in a grass covered run all day and in the evenings they come inside usually for a few handfulls of longer grass and dandelions, plus they are bedded on hay (fresh hay every day) and I also give them a couple of handfulls of rabbit mix between them mixed with some allen and page pellets at bedtime.

I'd like to wean them off the rabbit mix to be on just the pellets, but should I do this as I run out of the mix (I have a large Roses tin full at present) or more quickly and how much should I give them in combination with their other foodstuffs??

Kittykat23uk said:
On this subject, how much should I feed my two buns?

They are outdoor buns, 11 weeks and 3 days old. I've been feeding them greens and/or carrot in the mornings (e.g. 6 - 8 small brussel sprouts, or 3 or 4 large cabbage leaves, or 1 medium sized carrot between them), sometimes with a few sprigs of herbs and some grass/dandelions, they are in a grass covered run all day and in the evenings they come inside usually for a few handfulls of longer grass and dandelions, plus they are bedded on hay (fresh hay every day) and I also give them a couple of handfulls of rabbit mix between them mixed with some allen and page pellets at bedtime.

I'd like to wean them off the rabbit mix to be on just the pellets, but should I do this as I run out of the mix (I have a large Roses tin full at present) or more quickly and how much should I give them in combination with their other foodstuffs??

I think it would be fine to wean them off the mix onto a and p. But as they are so young, you actually need to be fedding unlimited pellets (ie. top bowl up whenever its empty). You may want to ask how long to carry on doing this for, as im not quite sure.

I could be wrong, but I thought you didn't feed greens to young buns?

Hopefully someone else will advise..

Jx

Apache said:
I could be wrong, but I thought you didn't feed greens to young buns?

Hopefully someone else will advise..

Jx

you can give small quantities, as long as they've benn bought up on it.

They were already on greens at about 7 weeks old when I got them and I was told they had a couple of handfulls of mix on top of that (as well as plenty of hay/grass). Thier poos are fine so no probs there. Can anyone else confirm whether I should give them more (unlimited) pellets/mix? :? They do seem to be hungry little bunnies!

Back