• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much would you give as a donation?

tigerbabe

Mama Doe
I hate trying to work out how much to give as a donation when I adopt an animal from a rescue, it's not that I'm indecisive it's just that I have trouble making decisions :wink: :lol:

So I'm starting to worry about it now even though I'm not sure when exactly I'll be getting my bunnies :roll:

I don't work because of the depression so I have limited money coming in, which I have to take into account.

Let's assume I'll be adopting 2 rabbits at the same time from the same place, both neutered. What donation would you give??

We ask £38 per bun that includes neutering,both vacs, vet check, information pack and a goodie bag with freebies and 1kg of the food they've been on here.

rngpwelfare said:
We ask £38 per bun that includes neutering,both vacs, vet check, information pack and a goodie bag with freebies and 1kg of the food they've been on here.

Oh life would be so much easier if everyone asked for a fixed donation :oops:

What about if they aren't already vaccinated?? Would that affect the amount you'd cosider fair?

:lol: that's fine, you don't need to be sorry. I was just asking cos I noticed some of the buns on RR aren't vaccinated, I was just wondering if that affected what people generally think is a fair donation :D

I would say £20 for neuter and £10 per vacc would be a guide - still less than you'd pay to have those done yourself :)

Hmmm when I had george from littlecrittez I gave them £50, but they didn't ask for that much.

SOAD said:
Hmmm when I had george from littlecrittez I gave them £50, but they didn't ask for that much.

Same for me when I got Jasper from RSPCA :thumb:
Then I gave them a big bag of Excel when they did a check up :lol:

When I got Roger from the RSPCA they had a fixed donation of £35.

I think this is a fair amount but still it doesn't cover the cost of what they pay out.

We ask for a minimum donation of £25 - rabbit comes with both vaccinations, neuter, vet check, flea treatment, microchip and 6 weeks of PetPlan insurance. I would say our donation is pretty reasonable considering how much things cost at the vet, although a lot of ppl do give more for all our animals which is lovely + helps us a lot.

I try to give £50 per Bunny. Even that doesn't cover the cost of neutering and vaccinating though.
Not sure exactly how much Rescues pay for V+N'ing but say a spay costs them half 'normal' price (£40) and half price vaccines- Myxo Vacc (£9) VHD Vacc (£10) you are still getting a bargain!!

If you bought a Bun and had to pay for Vaccinating and neutering yourself (ie full price) you would not get much change out of £110!!

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
I try to give £50 per Bunny. Even that doesn't cover the cost of neutering and vaccinating though.
Not sure exactly how much Rescues pay for V+N'ing but say a spay costs them half 'normal' price (£40) and half price vaccines- Myxo Vacc (£9) VHD Vacc (£10) you are still getting a bargain!!

If you bought a Bun and had to pay for Vaccinating and neutering yourself (ie full price) you would not get much change out of £110!!

Janex

Depends whereabouts you are :D Bit cheaper up North. Vaccs & spay would be £65 without my discount :D

nicolar said:
We ask for a minimum donation of £25 - rabbit comes with both vaccinations, neuter, vet check, flea treatment, microchip and 6 weeks of PetPlan insurance. I would say our donation is pretty reasonable considering how much things cost at the vet, although a lot of ppl do give more for all our animals which is lovely + helps us a lot.

I cant believe how cheap that is for a donation, with both vacs too :shock: . Is it a big organisation?

Yes it is a fairly big well known charity, it obviously does cost us more than that so we always say it is a minimum donation, but I def think it is very reasonable for what you are getting!!

nicolar said:
Yes it is a fairly big well known charity, it obviously does cost us more than that so we always say it is a minimum donation, but I def think it is very reasonable for what you are getting!!

Yes defiently, I hope a lot of people give more than that?

I am having my girl spayed tomorrow. And with both vacs on top it will have cost me about £80-90 all together (she was a freeads bunny).

i gave £30 for mine, he wasnt neutered or vacc, but i would rather the money went there than a pet shop, and it would cost me the same for a pet shop bun. for neutered bun, not vacc, i would say £40-£50, or £50-£60 if vacc too. but then it depends on your finances and what you feel is appropriate

It really does depend Mandy on the individual - we haven't homed many bunnies at our centre yet as haven't that long had the small animal unit open, but the donations we ask for for the dogs + cats are also very reasonable - £50 for a cat and £100 for a dog - again with vaccinations, neuter (if old enough), flea + worming treatment, vet check, microchipping, 6 weeks PetPlan insurance and food!! And some ppl give more as a donation and some stick to the minimum donation - any more that people give is always much appreciated, as it is with all rescue centres! Forgot to mention in my last post that I work for the Blue Cross - I think that the other Blue Cross centres around the country ask for different minimum donations as far as I know, but all the animals have the same standard of care :D

Shellar said:
When I got Roger from the RSPCA they had a fixed donation of £35.

I think this is a fair amount but still it doesn't cover the cost of what they pay out.

I'm quite surprised by that. When I got rabbits from the RSPCA about 8 years ago the fixed cost was £5 for the rabbit and £15 to have them neutered. I was looking on the website for the RSPCA centre that I adopted my dog from and had a look at the 'price list' out of curiosity, and the rabbit fees are still the same as they were 8 years ago :shock:

Mind you the state they let me adopt my last rabbit from them in was disgusting, especially when they told me it was nothing to worry about :evil:

I only have £85 a week coming in so I just don't know what to do donation wise :?

I don't want to be stingey (sp?) but I can't afford to be as generous as I'd like to

Back