• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Prepulsid - to give or not to give?

bunnyloopy

Alpha Buck
Took Baby to the vets today after a weekend of her being under the weather (cold ears, less interest in food and small black poos) She was given pain relief and something to get her gut going. She seems much brighter and ran to me for a cuddle (first time in 4 days :D ) I am due to pick up and adminster some prepulsid tomorow but am reluctant as she is much better and also the fact that it is unlicenced. Opinions please?

Thanks, fingers crossed! I think you are right -she is so good at being syringe fed that I think I should give it. I am already kicking myself for not gettin her to the vets on friday - I always just hope they will be ok when poorly! I am just concerned about side efects of giving something when she appears to be getting better.

Hiya I think it was prepulsid was suppose to have on Friday of last week (does it cause heart attacks in people?) in the end Mel couldn't get it, because where they get their drugs from, they didn't have a special licence for it. Glad your bunny is getting better, Holly got better too. I don't know much about the drug, but it does sound kind of nasty, have a chat to the vet and see what he/she thinks :D

That's if it's the same drug I could of got the wrong end of teh stick :lol:

Prepulsid (Cisipride) is actually BETTER than metoclopromide for treating GI Stasis in Buns. But it is vary hard to obtain in the UK as it was a drug licensed for human use and it was withdrawn due to adverse effects in HUMANS.
There are very few Veterinary drugs licensed for use in rabbits but that does not mean they are unsafe. Its just that the manufacturers dont think the cost of trials to licence products for rabbit use is 'worth the expense'..... :(

I would DEFINATELY give the medication as prescribed by your Vet

Janex

Picked it up tonight but will definitly give tomorow as going away for the weekend and leaving my brother to house and bunny sit.

I've not used it on rabbits, but have done on a guinea pig. My vet said he had one last batch.

Back