• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is My Bunny An Old Lady

AliBenMummy

Mama Doe
Hello!

Alice is 7 years old and I was wondering if this makes her an old lady or just middle aged? :?

Has anyone looked after an old bun and what age did they live until?

What should I look out for as she gets older?

Some people are surprised that she's so old, but they tend to be non bunny people.

I'd be interested to hear your experiences.

Many thanks,

Gemma

i would say yes , shes an old lady .

most buns dont make it to that age unfortunatly but some do live quite a lot longer .

my oldect bun is eight and half and hes def an old man . bless him :love:

I've heard of a few rabbits living to the age of 14 :D It depends on the rabbit I guess :D But yes, I would still consider your girl an old lady!!
I'm sure with lots of love and care she can go strong for years to come :D

Leah xx

I think that makes her an old lady - it is a good age!

My bun is 10 and a half. I have never had a bun get to this age before and I like to think he still has a couple of years in him yet :)

In terms of things to look out for.... Austin has slowed down (I don't know whether you have noticed a difference in Alice?). He does still free range and run around the garden but it is not the manic sprinting and binky'ing that he did as a young bun. He has arthritis in his back legs so I am a bit paranoid on the bottom checking :)

I like to think of him in his glory years now so he is very spoilt but I love having an older bun. Mainly because when I watch him, he reminds me a bit of my Grandad.... :lol:

she is an old lady but could have many more happy years.elvie-woo was 9 when she had to go to sleep.it was a heartbreaking decision due to on-going dental problems but if it wasn't for her teeth i'm sure she would have lived to an even grander old age as the vet was always so amazed at her strength,her heart was so strong.elvie just loved to sit in the livingroom in the sunny spots.

my gorgeous chloe was ten and a half. I remember when she was seven though and I took her to the vet, the vet couldn't believe she was seven as she still looked and acted young!!! However, towards the end she did start to look older in appearance and slowed down a little. I had to make the decision to let her go in the end, it was heartbreaking and the worst thing ever.

I'd had chloe since she was 8 weeks old, but now I tend to rescue older buns, I think they are so lovely. Honey is aged 6 and I only got her about a month ago. Bonnie is now 5 and I've had her a year. Both excellent decisions to get these "oldies".

xx

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your replies.

I've noticed Alice has slowed down a tiny bit because she sleeps a lot more than she used to. Alice still runs round the garden after Benny but then needs a rest after a while to recover.

In terms of her teeth, she onle has one left so I don't think we're going to have any problems there. I had trouble getting fibre into her, but think we've solved that problem with A&P pellets and Protexin Pro-fibre, which I definately recommend.

Alice is certainly loved and definately spoilt. It's good to know that she could have plenty of good years left in her! I think Benny keeps her young too - I caught her trying to hump him the other day, so she's still got her spark!

Thanks again,

Gemma

Yep, one less thing to worry about! :)

The vets are always surprised that she's in such good condition, being toothless. She eats the same as Benny, it's just chopped up small in the blender...with added fibre.

There doesn't seem any logic as to the age a bunny lives to no matter how much tlc it gets.

I had 2 netherland dwarfs, laurel and hardy that lived to 13 and 15 and then I had a netherland dwarf, Pheobe that died suddenly at age 5.

My oldest bunnies are 7 1/2 and 8 years old and I definitely look at them as oldies. They are still as active and lively as ever, but their coat is a little duller and the girl has lost a lot of weight for seemingly no other reason than old age.

Vera

Back