• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescues and showing pet rabbits

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
Rescues
Just wondering if you would let someone adopt a rabbit from you if they had told you they were going to show them in pet classes occassionally?

Neutered Buns can be shown in local Pet Shows but not in any regulated by the BRC.

One of my Buns won a Rossette at a Pet Show for having the cutest BUM!! :lol:

Janex

Hi yes a castrated bun can be shown in a brc pet class. Its only the main show they couldnt be entered in. 1 because it was done and 2 you wouldnt be a member. val :D

taylor v 109 said:
Hi yes a castrated bun can be shown in a brc pet class. Its only the main show they couldnt be entered in. 1 because it was done and 2 you wouldnt be a member. val :D

why cant they be neutered to be shown?

mandy said:
So would you mind if they went in shows Eve?

never really thought about it mate to be honest, i supose i wouldnt mind i am more against breeding than i am of the brc, although i dont really support the brc as i do believe they are part of the problem but lets not get on that band wagon :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

so as long as its neutered which all mine are, not sure it would matter to me, whats your take on it?

bunnylove said:
mandy said:
So would you mind if they went in shows Eve?

never really thought about it mate to be honest, i supose i wouldnt mind i am more against breeding than i am of the brc, although i dont really support the brc as i do believe they are part of the problem but lets not get on that band wagon :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

so as long as its neutered which all mine are, not sure it would matter to me, whats your take on it?

I dont really like the idea to be honest. I asked because someone offered my freeads piggie a home, a very good one by the soudns of it but she said she would show him occassionally in pet classes.

Hes such a nervous little chap I know he'd be terrified to be put in a cage with nowhere to hide.

I think you have to consider the individual animal same as you would with any home. It sounds like that particularly gpig wouldn't be suitable for a home that wanted to do pet classes where as a bold outgoing pig might be totally fine to rehome with that inmind :)

Tamsin said:
I think you have to consider the individual animal same as you would with any home. It sounds like that particularly gpig wouldn't be suitable for a home that wanted to do pet classes where as a bold outgoing pig might be totally fine to rehome with that inmind :)

Thats true Tamsin, but really i dont like the idea of showing at all so it would probably put me off whatever the pig or rabbits personality, but it probably would be particularily bad for Max.

Max might come on in leaps and bounds once he's settled though. I know mine was extremely nervous and I wouldn't have dreamt of taking him anywhere, but now I would. If the person has lots of guinea pig experience she should know if he's ok to take. I went along to a piggy show a few weeks ago and was amazed by how laid back and happy the piggies were. Maybe a good home will be the making of him :D

snowy said:
Why can't a neutered rabbit go in a brc show please?

I assume it's like Crufts and if you win best in show or whatever, you're then worth quite a lot as a stud?

kayjay said:
Max might come on in leaps and bounds once he's settled though. I know mine was extremely nervous and I wouldn't have dreamt of taking him anywhere, but now I would. If the person has lots of guinea pig experience she should know if he's ok to take. I went along to a piggy show a few weeks ago and was amazed by how laid back and happy the piggies were. Maybe a good home will be the making of him :D

Yes thats true, perhaps im being too picky. Its just id just prefer him to be left to just be a piggie playing with his friends. I find something quite distubring about shows- ie) the idea of using them like a trophy object. But thats just my take, Ive never been to one.

kayjay said:
snowy said:
Why can't a neutered rabbit go in a brc show please?

I assume it's like Crufts and if you win best in show or whatever, you're then worth quite a lot as a stud?

Apparently it is a rule of the BRC that they can't be neutered to go in a show and I would like to know why, can someone please tell me?

I'm not sure there's any logic other than 'because that's the rules!' A 'perfect' show specimen must be fully in tact otherwise it isn't perfect :roll:

AlisonA said:
I'm not sure there's any logic other than 'because that's the rules!' A 'perfect' show specimen must be fully in tact otherwise it isn't perfect :roll:

If that's the reason then it is totally and utterly pathetic and they should not be allowed to have anything to do with animals.

In the same vein does that mean because I've had a hysterectomy I am not perfect, 'cos I know I am I keep telling my OH:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I understand about the Brc not allowing neutered males to be shown in breed classes but how would they be able to prove whether a doe is intact once her wound is healed. :?

To be honest im not that sure. Male rabbits have to have there testicals. one reason is probebly because then you know its heathy and has two decended testicals. This would make sure your not breeding from poor stock, a rabbit with only one droped should not be used for breeding. This could lead to heath problems and can be inherited.Pet rabbits are not supposed to be used for breeding so they can be done. Showing can be fun and encourages children to take better care of there pets as clean rabbits and g/pigs stand a better chance of winning a rossette. The things that are looked for in a pet class are, 1 clean rabbit including feet, 2 a good temprement , 3 no heath problems such as bad teeth or something that needs treatment . Rabbits and piggies that go to shows get used to it very quicly and most are fine. If you had a pet or show rabbit that didnt like going you would no about it.Children learn a lot about there pets by going to these shows theres always people there to answere there questions and give advise to those who need it. Some schools in kent are entering shows now. Getting the children involved in the resposabilitys and having fun at the same time. If you want to try it then do, you will know if your rabbit dosent like it. As for show rabbits, you would not take a rabbit that wasent happy to go because it would not behave on the judging table and be marked down as not handled enough, so you wouldnt take it. Ive been showing since 1999 and ive never had a rabbit that was to stressed to show. Someone mentioned does being spayed in shows. Your right no one would know but if you had a doe that was good enough to show then you would want to breed from it. val

:shock: I'm very, very shocked to find that rabbits who are put into BRC shows don't have to be vaccinated, I think that is totally irresponsible bearing in mind how many bunnies enter these things and the risk of infections etc. :shock: :shock:

I find the breeding / showing part of owning a rabbit very distasteful and I certainly don't think it teaches children anything, it is a well know fact that rabbits are not good pets for children, and leading by example by showing children that these animals can be bred time after time after time just to churn out the perfect bunny.... what on earth does that teach a child?

Somebody please tell me....with so many unwanted rabbits in this country why do people have to breed more?

Back