• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cage Dimensions

Rogue

Banned
What size indoor cage would be suitable for a French Lop? Bunny would be able to free range mostly and would only be confined for short periods. Any suggestions on which types to go for (and which to desperately avoid)?

ETA - it will be a "bedroom" as well for night times, which might have a bearing on size required.

you're looking at the largest dog crate and even then I think it may be too small. I've a little lionhead who spends her day (while i'm at work) and she's only nethie size. You may need to leave a frenchie as free range :D

I don't know if you've looked at www.rossrabbits.co.uk before, but they have loads of useful info on French Lops including suitable accommodation. They have piccies of a cage with a pen around it to give the bun extra room for when you're not around if it can't free range initially. I'd go for a large dog crate with pen rather than cage though.

Does this mean you might be getting an indoor bun :D

Any news of Bramble yet? :(

I like the dog pen idea!

Does this mean you might be getting an indoor bun

Any news of Bramble yet?
Shhhhh... I'm just casually enquiring out of interest :mrgreen: Lets just say I'm weighing up my options :wink: .

No news on my little Bram yet :cry: . Paper article went out over the weekend, so I'm hopeful someone might come forward. I still have a couple of people to phone and make enquiries.

My French Lop & her boyfriend have their own room, but on the occasion where I have had to confine them (in the early not litter trained days, or if another bun needed their space for an hour :lol: ) I used to push a 3 foot dog crate & a 4 foot dog crate together, (door to door). I would still say it was too small for a permanent home though, even with space when you're in. Having said that, her boyfriend is massive too! :lol:

Dog pens are fab for big bunnies. Another good option is making a cage out of wire shelving grids. I think you can get them from Argos? You can make them multiple levels which are very stable if you do it right so big bunnies aren't a problem. The grids are usually 14 inches square and the smallest you'd want to go for a big bun is 2 wide, 4 long, 2 high. Check out this site for lots of ideas!

http://www.guineapigcages.com/

I would think you could attach a couple of dog crates or a crate and a pen or even just a large puppy pen would be ok (bear in mind a puppy pen could easily and not too expensively be made 8ft x 4ft (or 8ft x 8ft) with crate doors to allow easy access to buns ( http://www.secureonlineshopping.biz/croft/main.asp?category=Showman+puppy+pens ) I have also read that you can buy 6ft x 4ft x 4ft dog crates although i have never actually seen them for sale

abi
teegra and duchess

Back