• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Archie is Limping

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
Hi guys,

Just noticed this morning that Archie is holding up his front paw when he hops. Its not stopping him racing around the garden though and I've had a feel of his foot and theres no broken claws nor does he flinch when i'm having a feel.

Is this something I can leave and see what happens with him - does he need time to rest it if its just a knock? (Should he be on hutch rest?) He is eating and behaving normally too.

Any advice will be gratefully received!!

Keep an eye on it, he may have just pulled a muscle, it might be worth popping him down to the vets, if nothing is definately broken the vet can at least give him some pain relief

Hope he feels better soon! :)

Has he had a VHD vaccination in the last few days?
Some bunnies develop a limp for a while after the vaccine has been given.

I would confine him to a small area until you see a Vet as a hairline fracture is a possibility and over enthusiastic exercise could make it worse.

Janex

Thanks guys...
Oh god, yes he had his first vaccination for VHD just on Friday. They are both in the run right now (cos it started raining again) so I'll keep him in there for the rest of the day - he won't be happy at that! We'll get along to the vets tomorrow to confirm what he's done to himself.

Jane, how can the vaccine cause a limp? :?

Mad Bunster said:

I think it happens when some of the oil based vaccine hits a nerve when injected. Dont worry, the limp will wear off. Your Vet may advise giving him some Metacam (anti-inflammatory) for a couple of days. As he only had the vaccination on Friday I'd say it is just a 'VHD Vacc Limp' and not a more serious injury.

Janex

Oh No - I was assuming he had been racing about in the garden again and hurt himself. Poor Guy!

Thanks for your help, I'll ring the vets first thing tomorrow and see if they want to give him anything for it, if its not cleared up.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease - I've only had him for 3 weeks and so far both his vaxs have left him with a scab on his ear (myxi) and now a limp. He is getting special kisses from Fozzie to make him feel better though. :D

Jack's-Jane said:
Mad Bunster said:

I think it happens when some of the oil based vaccine hits a nerve when injected. Dont worry, the limp will wear off. Your Vet may advise giving him some Metacam (anti-inflammatory) for a couple of days. As he only had the vaccination on Friday I'd say it is just a 'VHD Vacc Limp' and not a more serious injury.

Janex
Yep, that's what it sounds like to me too! Rudy got his limp about 2 days after his vacc too :? And it was gone within a day.

Hello,
Just to let you know that Archies foot was fine again this morning, so drama over!

Thats one more thing I've learned then! Thanks everyone.

xx

Back