• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stop me from doing this!

tinymitten

New Kit
Oh no - horrible dilemma. I think that we have all been here before but this time it is really getting to me. I was in a garden centre on Friday buying my dog some doggy treats when I noticed rabbits in a run in the corner. ( I had never been to the area before otherwise I wouldn't have gone in - I try to avoid the rabbit in shop thing ). They were all well and happy and looked well cared - so far so good.

I watched them for a few minutes and realised very quickly that in with baby Lionhead x boys there was a rather large and growing French Lop boy who was evidently entering his teenage stage and being rather aggressive to the other frightened buns.
When I asked the assistant about him, she said he was some kind of giant ( she didn't know what he was ) and that he was a 'nightmare', 'really aggressive' and that no one wanted him. He also bites apparently although was fine when I rubbed his nose - he just needs a rabbit person to love him. She was very nice and all but did not seem to know what to do. You will be pleased to know that I did not buy him.

But now I am worried - where will he end up? I have 4 rescue buns myself and have plenty of Frenchie experience and keep thinking that I should go and get him. But I know that it's all wrong and just the opposite of what we should be doing. I am finding that it is easy to have principles but when you are faced with the actual reality of a bun in need....it gets really hard doesn't it?

I just imagine him bought by some over indulgent parent, living in a cramped 4 foot cage, unneutered, biting everyone within range and having a miserable and short life. What to do? And when did Frenchies become available in garden centres? I know that smaller breeds have been available for a long time and may do ok if people get a big enough cage but Frenchies are a different thing altogether....

I see your dilema. Giant buns do need a lot of space and like you said sounds like he needs neutering and pretty soon at that. Do they offer advice and care sheets with the sale of the big bun?

Like you said it's easy to have principles and say the right thing but when you are actually faced with the situation and see a bun that needs help they all go out the window and the bunny lover in you goes into overdrive. How much are they charging for the rabbit. If they are having problems with him and can't sell him would they let you have him for free? Point out he might hurt the others if you don't take him and if they think their income might be threatened they might let him go! After the problems they have had with him lets hope they don't get any more in!

And I'm not sure either about pet shops being able to sell the bigger breeds?

Sorry just read your title for this post - possibly you should ignore the above!!

Yes - I had thought about approaching them and asking about getting him for free but at the moment I can't see it happening as he is still almost cute enough to pass for a baby ( 24 weeks old ). They do not sell their rabbits with advice sheets - none at all as far as I could see let alone one specific to big bunnies.

They wanted £20 for him. I did try to discuss his neutering needs with the assistant but she was not too interested and I think she thought I was mad. She did agree that selling him to a home with small children was not a good idea which is good but she was only doing this as he now has the label 'nasty'.

Dilemma. What will happen to him if he is not sold? BTW - he has THAT look in his eye, you know, the cheeky one that bright buns have when they know they are going to do something mischievous? A real character in the making.

Yup!! I know that look, the one you know is going to make you go :x :roll: :love: - I have a few of them!!

Thinking of you it's a hard one but keep us up to date on what you decide.x

Get him, you know you want to :D He sounds like he'd be a lovely bun after neutering. I'd be tempted to try to get him free/ negotiate a lower price but if not ..... well at least you'd be giving a bun a good home, and hopefully this experience will have put her off getting any more 'giants'??

I am thinking of taking a trip out there this afternoon ( it's about 40 miles away and I was on a course when I stopped off to get dog treats! ) just to check out the situation.

You are right though - whatever happens let's hope that this place will not take in any more giant buns. He certainly has not made himself very popular that's for sure!

you said they were ok other than that, do you think maybe giving some advice about them to the staff there would help, i know its not ideal, but a possible compromise. i thankfully have never seen any large breed in a pet shop. It must be so tempting to take him out though, poor guy, all he needs is neutering and a nice girl bunny to love, and a nice big shed and run.

Well - I got him. I couldn't not. The people at the garden centre were a different bunch to when I last visited and had absolutely no idea about him at all. The man who served me thought that he was fully grown which is a bit of a worry considering how huge these buns get. It is possible I guess that he could have been sold to people who assumed that he would not grow any more and house him accordingly.

I did get a 'reduction' on him as he was being a bit of a bully and also possibly a touch of pasteurella maybe, he has a slightly wet nose - I shall get him checked out this week.

As soon as he came home, he just relaxed. He is inquisitive and gentle and not at all a bossy, dominant bun which was a surprise as I expected a bit of a battle! He is chowing down on fresh hay and checking out his new accomodation happily - he comes to me for nose rubs, head buts me gently and seems to know that he has found his forever home.

I have found several fresh bites on him and also several nasty, lumpy scars where he has been fighting. I think he has battled his way through life so far which may explain his attitude and behaviour in the garden centre.

I feel bad for having bought him and thus 'supported' the trade but so good for him. He will have the best of everything and will be loved dearly. On a really good note, they have not had giant bun litters in before and from what I can tell, they won't be getting more as my lovely boy has put them off! Good job!

He is called Otto btw and I shall post a pic as soon as I have one.

Oh Yay :D I for one am glad you got him. I have a Frenchie and love him to bits. I am so pleased he has a good home with you.

I'd have done the same as you. Imagine who could have bought him :( At least now he's safe and will have a good life :D

Thanks everyone - I am glad that there are people who feel the same way as me. Will post pics of him tomorrow - he's a real sweetie!

Well done!!! so glad you have got him. Frenchies are lovely and you will get so much pleasure from him. What a lucky boy he is!!! Pam

Back