• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

As requested -my Hutch!

cara

Alpha Buck
Couple of people asked for a photo of my hutch so, after ages sussing out how to do it - here it is! (no idea if this is gonna work).

P1000707.jpg

No mesh area, only 2 entrances, in the form of porches/hallways, and a central sleeping area. The sleeping area is nice and dark.

I have found that my rabbits have far more confidence knowing that they have two entrances/exits, therefore 2 ways of escape - rather warren-like I feel.

The hutch is surrounded by a run. They are free to come and go overnight from hutch to run, and are in the garden all day (of course free to return to the hutch/run if they wish).

The run is usually covered by a framework of mesh. (And corragated (sp?) plastic in poor weather).

Regards, Cara[/img]

Aren't you worried about foxes or cats and dogs getting in? or is the run covered?

I was one who asked for a piccie, so thanks cara!

I think the design is really interesting, and it gives the rabbits the security of a 'warren' and having two entrances/exits is a really good idea. My OH is concerned that our shed is too dark but as I pointed out to him warrens would be dark and they probably feel more secure than exposed in a hutch or cage.

I would just add to Snowy's concerns about the security, are you confidant that foxes/dogs can't get in at night? If you are and your buns are happy that's great. I'm looking for a more 'natural' way for my buns to live, there's nothing nicer than seeing them dig holes and scamper around is there? :D

P1000725.jpg

The hutch is right outside our door.

Each night it is covered up, and is much more secure than it maybe appears. (It is prop. tied up at night). Under the corragated plastic is a mesh frame for finer weather.

They are never locked inside the hutch, but have access to light at all times (via the run) its their choice!

Totally agree - to see them bunny hop and graze the lawn is a pleasure!

Now, off to uncover again and give it a hose down...

Tis the prescribed 6 x 2 x 2.

The two porch areas are hallways (with a small opening) into the central area, which is one open space.

My (2) rabbits are never confined within the hutch so it is more than big enough!

Back