• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cold bunny? Any ideas?

bunnyloopy

Alpha Buck
I posted yesterday about baby bunny being under the weather and not herself. I have also noticed she isnt very warm and her ears are cold. What does this mean? Have tried stroking her to warm her up but she keeps running away. I dont have a hot water bottle and think the electric blanket is too risky. Might put the heating on. What does being cold mean?

The cold ears are just indicating her temperature. Don't get too alarmed though, It's quite scary when they're really cold! No don't use an electric blanket :? X

Lol I want her to be snuggly but agree the electric (yummy) blanket is too risky! Have put heating on which is good as their floor gets warm from the pipes under it.

I just want her to be herself again, annoying me and getting under my feet again!!

bunnyloopy said:
I just want her to be herself again, annoying me and getting under my feet again!!

Whats wrong with her? X

EDIT: Just searched for the post, Did she go to the vets? Still lying down? Grinding her teeth? Do you think it might be her tum? X

bunnyloopy said:
I posted yesterday about baby bunny being under the weather and not herself. I have also noticed she isnt very warm and her ears are cold. What does this mean? Have tried stroking her to warm her up but she keeps running away. I dont have a hot water bottle and think the electric blanket is too risky. Might put the heating on. What does being cold mean?

When a Bun is ill or in pain their body temperature drops rapidly. This can be VERY dangerous and the Bun can go into shock. PLEASE get your Rabbit to a Vet TODAY if he/she is still 'unwell' in herself and cold.
I dont want to scare you but from what you have described (lying down, tooth grinding, very cold) she sounds to be a very poorly Bunny :(
Please keep us posted

Janex

Jane - she seems abit better today but definitly to the vets tomorrow. Thankyou for replying as I really really respect ur opinion x Just picked her up and breathing is laboured,rang work and told them i cant possibly do a full early shift tomorrow - vets first thing x

bunnyloopy said:
Jane - she seems abit better today but definitly to the vets tomorrow. Thankyou for replying as I really really respect ur opinion x Just picked her up and breathing is laboured,rang work and told them i cant possibly do a full early shift tomorrow - vets first thing x

Is there any way you can access a Vet TONIGHT.
Laboured breathing on top of everything else is a VERY POOR prognostic sign :cry:
I STRONGLY advise you to contact a Vet TONIGHT.

Janex

She is warmer and more active but definitly not breathing at her best. I am happy to wait until the morning for a vets appointment. her bum is pretty smelly although clean so maybe she has been bunged up?

Back