• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What are you thoughts on rescuing ex breeding buns?

What are you thoughts on rescuing ex breeding buns?

• Yes it is always fine- every bun needs a home

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Depends on the circumstances

• No I dont agree with it, its just freeing up space

• Im not sure

• Total voters
Personally I have no problem with it, if you have space to take in and home a rabbit then do it, who know where it might end up otherwise

I do think if you've been involved in finding out about a bun, like you with the 6yr.old, you should pick up that bun, you're only going to torture yourself with the what ifs if you don't take her.

The next person that enquires about her and maybe takes her could be shutting her in a hutch for the rest of her life, she deserves a home just as much as the next rabbit.

This is the reason I don't take on Free add's, with 13 permanent of my own I'd be over run very soon

I voted depends on circumstances...doesn't help you much Mandy!
I think generally you shouldn't take them and definately DO NOT give any money for them...but if you are worried for their safety ,and can get them handed over to you, then sometimes it is what your heart tells you to do :?

In my opinion, every bun deserves a fantastic home. They can't help where they live/are born/are sold to so why should they be the ones to suffer :cry: X

beckiboo186 said:
In my opinion, every bun deserves a fantastic home. They can't help where they live/are born/are sold to so why should they be the ones to suffer :cry: X

I agree completely. :thumb:

beckiboo186 said:
anna said:
AprilShower said:
beckiboo186 said:

I agree completely. :thumb:

Me too :D

Thanks Guys :thumb: I thought I might get shouted at :oops: X

I agree too - leaving the bunny with the breeder isn't going to help the bunny or change the breeders behaviour. Unfortunately you can't make the person change their opinions and actions, all you can do is put up a good argument and tell them why you disapprove. until they see the light for themselves they wont change. :x

I really don't think these "breeders" should be paid for the bunnies though.

Trouble is that once you've done it once you can easily get caught into doing it again - you become part of the demand that the breeder is producing for. Why should they breed less when they know people are willing ot take the ones they can't sell. Even if you don't pay for them then you're still freeing up their hutches. In reality it doesn't hit them much in the pocket if they wanted rid and were having to feed them anyway.

Tam

Tamsin said:
Trouble is that once you've done it once you can easily get caught into doing it again - you become part of the demand that the breeder is producing for. Why should they breed less when they know people are willing ot take the ones they can't sell. Even if you don't pay for them then you're still freeing up their hutches. In reality it doesn't hit them much in the pocket if they wanted rid and were having to feed them anyway.

Tam

Yep, Your completely right. But i couldn't let a bun suffer because of that, s/he didn't ask to be a breeders bun :? X

Tamsin said:

Tam

But is the situation not that if ex-breeders are not being adopted, they are just being destroyed? I doubt that 99% of breeders will be put off from breeding just because they can't get rid of ex-breeders... There is plenty of people in the "business" that can do the job for them to free up hutches, if they can't or won't do the awful deed themselves... :(

I agree that adopting ex-breeders is not a bad thing. :) Although I would not pay for them, but rather negotiate a donation to a rescue organisation instead.

Vera

It's catch-22 isn't it. I agree with you about it not being the buns fault and in the end we are talking about a real live bunny not a theory. I don't think their is a good answer so I guess you just have to judge each situation and do the best you can for each :)

Guilty as charged m'Lord..........

I BOUGHT Lord Lopsley (advertised in FreeAdds). Wrong in theory but if I saw him advertised again (no chance as he's now at The Bridge :cry: :cry: ) I'd buy him.

I agree that buying from a breeder is not a good idea but we dont always do whats right for the majority.......

I am, today, obtaining another Breeders Rabbit (FREE) The Breeder has given the Bun to me not to 'Free up space' but because he heard what happened to Lord Lopsley. This Breeder is not the devil incarnate. He does not advertise his Buns for sale. If anyone approaches him about obtaining one of his stock he will let them have a Rabbit once he has Vetted the home. He Vaccinates ALL his Rabbits. All the Rabbits are named, not just 'the buck/doe'

Whilst there are all too many VERY bad breeders there are a few who, whilst by breeding at all, are judged as being irresponsible, are infact as caring toward their Rabbits as me.Given that some people are going to want a specific breed of rabbit for whatever reason, isn't it better not to allienate the all too few 'good breeders' by tarring them all with the same brush....

I voted every rabbit needs a loving home'

I'll get off my soap box now.......jumping before I am pushed.....

Janex

Gosh, this is interesting, some very good points made, I am still in a dilemma as to what to do.............my main prority is this 6year doe, having said that and having had a sleepless night worrying what will happen to her I have decided that I will take the following course of action:

I will ring the lady and ask if I can go see her bunnies, of course depending on what I find will determine my next action, but I will go armed with leaflets and I will try to talk to her, I will assess the situation and see how she is keeping the buns, if it is bad then I will come out, ring the RSPCA and make a report, if it's OK then I will try to talk to her, I will establish with her what she does with her 'old stock'. I am, of course, prepared for the worst.

Having had a conversation with her already, I think this lady is very ignorant of the facts about unwanted bunnies and neutering and vaccs so hopefully I can do some good, of course I could come out with one bun or 22 buns......who knows?

Any thoughts / ideas please

snowy said:
Gosh, this is interesting, some very good points made, I am still in a dilemma as to what to do.............my main prority is this 6year doe, having said that and having had a sleepless night worrying what will happen to her I have decided that I will take the following course of action:

I will ring the lady and ask if I can go see her bunnies, of course depending on what I find will determine my next action, but I will go armed with leaflets and I will try to talk to her, I will assess the situation and see how she is keeping the buns, if it is bad then I will come out, ring the RSPCA and make a report, if it's OK then I will try to talk to her, I will establish with her what she does with her 'old stock'. I am, of course, prepared for the worst.

Having had a conversation with her already, I think this lady is very ignorant of the facts about unwanted bunnies and neutering and vaccs so hopefully I can do some good, of course I could come out with one bun or 22 buns......who knows?

Any thoughts / ideas please

Well I think going in with a non-confrontational approach, as I KNOW you will, means that you stand a chance of educating this person.
I really do understand why so many people are completely against ALL breeders. But as Tamsin pointed out to me on another thread re P@H sometimes one has to cosey up to people we disagree with for the good of the Bunnies.

I fully understand the views of those who had a go at me about buying Lord Lopsley. He was 'unwanted stock' and I dont know what his breeder would have done with him if she couldn't sell him. I didn't want to wait to find out.......

But Inspector Morses Breeder is, I believe, caring and not irresponsible re the Rabbits he breeds. I have discussed his working practice with Christabel and she agrees that breeders are not going to be wiped off the planet so surely its better to work with the good ones in the hope of spreading the word.

Anyway, this is just my opinion.

Good Luck today Snowy. I'd take a camara with you. Depending on what you find photos could be good 'evidence'.

Janex

Thanks Jane I appreciate your comments, I hate to 'cosy up' to people like this but I will need to in order to get to see the buns and I must remember that they are the priority...not the people involved but the bunnies, so I will go in the next couple of days and I will let you all know what I find.....watch this space, so to speak!

I agree with the general train of this thread, that whilst breeders shouldn't be encouraged or "helped out" by taking their excess stock, we do what we do for the sake of the rabbits and in some respects, having just taken on Bilbo who's had three litters in about the same number of months, I feel that these does who have been used as reproducing machines deserve a good home just to get some rest, peace and quiet and to let their bodies recover!! I'm not 100% sure what sex the 6years old is that Snowy's talking of but if it's a doe imagine what her body's been through in six years!!! Doesn't bear thinking about really.

chloaster said:
I agree with the general train of this thread, that whilst breeders shouldn't be encouraged or "helped out" by taking their excess stock, we do what we do for the sake of the rabbits and in some respects, having just taken on Bilbo who's had three litters in about the same number of months, I feel that these does who have been used as reproducing machines deserve a good home just to get some rest, peace and quiet and to let their bodies recover!! I'm not 100% sure what sex the 6years old is that Snowy's talking of but if it's a doe imagine what her body's been through in six years!!! Doesn't bear thinking about really.

She's a doe!!

Back