• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Belgian Hares

Bavarian Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
Has anyone here ever had a Belgian Hare? They look really different from other rabbits. Are they very difficult to keep? I prefer cute rabbits, rather than these "greyhound type" rabbits, but I was just curious. :D

We had one at college called Benji, he was an absolubt gem, so friendly and soppy, sadly i have moved to another college now, but when i left Benji had developed an inner ear infection that affected his ballance and he was falling all over the place :( i must call and find out if he recovered...

Awww, poor thing. :( I once had a cat that had lost one eye, he kept bumping into door frames and other things. But he could catch food that my dad dropped for him with his mouth in the air without any problems.

You should have seen him when my dad dropped a piece of pickle..... :lol: He spat it out, then ran for cover and wasn't seen for at least an hour.

:lol: :lol:

yeah, belgies are lovely but they tend to suffer from respiratory (sp?) infections, you'd have to be prepared to take out insurance on them!

They also have extremely fragile bones so need careful handling and nothing too mischief making to allow them to break them! They do also tend to get sore hocks because of their very long slender bones and short fur. They are absolutely gorgeous though!

This is Ruby, my belgian hare cross.
trio.jpg

DSCN0629.jpg

DSCN0918.jpg

She has very slender legs, and is much slimmer than Bobby. She is stunning and (touch wood :wink: ) no health problems.
I have never seen a bunny binky as high or as much as Ruby. She is a binky queen!

Gem said:
They need more height to their hutches than other buns

Take a read of this;
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=27426&highlight=belgian+hare

And this one, Sue doesn't come here anymore as she doesn't have buns
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=863&highlight=belgian+hare

This one might help
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2638&highlight=belgian+hare

Hope that helps :wink:

Sadly Sue's Belgian Hare died very shortly after she got her. I remember she was devastated. :cry:

HS said:
This is Ruby, my belgian hare cross.
trio.jpg

DSCN0629.jpg

DSCN0918.jpg

She has very slender legs, and is much slimmer than Bobby. She is stunning and (touch wood :wink: ) no health problems.
I have never seen a bunny binky as high or as much as Ruby. She is a binky queen!

She is absolutely beautiful! :love: :love:

kitschkitty said:
Sadly Sue's Belgian Hare died very shortly after she got her. I remember she was devastated. :cry:

Henna did, Jaya I think was rehomed when she had to give all the buns, Jaya had a litter with someone (Floyd :?:)

if belgians where bred with other breeds to produce something a little more stable, would be better than the way they are now, being bred so much that all these health problems are coming to light.

Omg imagine a lion head hare :love:
Or a lop hare :love:

I'll shut up now :oops:

No, Eve, I did not see your own bunnies, only from the distance. :D I saw some very big ones, but no Belgian Hare. Penny and the babies were too distracting. :D

000_0463.jpg

Hiya :) Here is our Belgium Hare Firecracker(Cracker for short) :)
I have kept rabbits for over 20 years, but the addition of a Belgium Hare to our family has been an entirely new experience :wink:
Belgium Hares are very spirited and need to be treated with total respect at all times (as do other rabbits too of course) , as they can turn aggressive if made to feel threatened.
Their beautiful long but delicate limbs mean lifting them up is difficult, so we transport Cracker around inside a carrier to be safe.
To make a fuss of her, we go down to her level on the ground :wink:
Cracker is so playful, and very intelligent, so needs constant mental stimulation :)
Cracker is more like a small deer than a Rabbit :wink:
The tumble dryer engineer walked into our lounge the other day and was utterly amazed to see a large Hare hopping towards him :shock: :shock: :shock: I forgot to mention that Cracker was around as I take it for granted that she rules the lounge :wink: :lol: :lol:
The engineer would not use his drill inside incase he scared Cracker, so did everything he could outside. He was thrilled when Cracker ran up to him, threw down her head and begged for fusses :p :p :p he thought it wonderful and had to phone his Boss up to tell him :lol: :lol: :lol:
I adore Cracker, but Hares are really only for the experienced rabbit keeper in my opinion :wink:
Best wishes

Bavarian Bunny said:
No, Eve, I did not see your own bunnies, only from the distance. :D I saw some very big ones, but no Belgian Hare. Penny and the babies were too distracting. :D

oh next time you come i will show you him he is goregoussssssss, his name is rusty and has the most gorgeous hazel coloured eyes, he is sooooooooo friendly must say i do worry as he binlys round his run like a bunny pocessed :shock: and some times knocks his wee legs on the side of the run :shock: but he is truely a lovely bun!

Back