• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Angry rabbits!

Spacegirl

Mama Doe
Just wondered if anyone could offer their experience of aggresive rabbits.
Did you find ways to overcome it?
Did the rabbit get used to you in time?
Did you eventually manage to win them round and end up with a happy, friendly bun?
Or did you try but were froced to accept that your rabbit would always be a bit on the grumpy side?

Spacegirl said:
Did you find ways to overcome it?
Yes, I compromised with Harley and I don't pick her up unless I absolutely have to, she knows that and never struggles when I do have to pick her up. As a result of that I know if she doesn't run away when I put my hand out to stroke her, that she's ill :)

Spacegirl said:
Did the rabbit get used to you in time?
Depends what you mean by that, do you mean as in stroking or picking up :?:
Spacegirl said:
Did you eventually manage to win them round and end up with a happy, friendly bun?
Yes and no, she's friendly on her terms but has always been a happy girl

Spacegirl said:
Or did you try but were forced to accept that your rabbit would always be a bit on the grumpy side?
I accept she's always going to be grumpy when it suits her, its all down to her past life, we understand each other, as long as she's happy and healthy, I'm happy :D

I'll let you know!! :D
Calel, isn't grumpy, he's actually really friendly!! There was virtually no warning when he ate my wrist :lol: He just suddenly attacks. Not just me - everything in sight!! He throws himself around, & I get scared he will hurt himself, but i can't try & stop him, cos i don't want to be hurt either!! I leave him to calm down, then come back half hour later with treats. We'll get there :thumb:

Chocolate used to bite, but now she's one of my friendliest. Now she's bonded into the 7, she's the most amazing bun. It's been a complete turnaround.

Smirnoff is Grumpy!!! I've had him longest, & we have only just started having any progress. He now eats spinach from my hand, but that has taken almost 2 years :D :lol: He isn't aggressive though, If I need to pick him up for vets/nail clip, I can. He just doesn't like it!

Thanks for your replies! I'm going to visit a rather grumpy rabbit at Eve's tommorrow so I was interested about how other people had got on with agressive rabbits. I guess its always a bit of a gamble but I think it would be great if you were able to gain the trust of a defensive rabbit.

once you have jam in your arms sally he is fine :D she just doesnt like the cleaning BRUSH very much but as long as you keep it away from hs sight he will be fine!

and just never startle him :shock: :twisted: :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol: but i havent lost any fingers ..............yet :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Spacegirl said:
Maybe I should wear a bell round my neck so he knows I'm coming :shock: :lol:

in all seriousness what i mean is with some rabbit you can actually grab them when they arent paying much atention, with him i would let him know, ie... let him see you before trying to pick him up. anyway i will explain all tommorrow
Eve x

Can Jam hear? Maybe he sometimes attacks because his hearing isn't very good and he gets startled easily?

bunnylove said:
Spacegirl said:
Maybe I should wear a bell round my neck so he knows I'm coming :shock: :lol:

in all seriousness what i mean is with some rabbit you can actually grab them when they arent paying much atention, with him i would let him know, ie... let him see you before trying to pick him up. anyway i will explain all tommorrow
Eve x
I know what you mean :D One of mine is the same only its because she gets really stressed. If I just goto pick her up she will freak but once she has seen me and I have approached her slowly she is easier to handle.

AlisonA said:
Can Jam hear? Maybe he sometimes attacks because his hearing isn't very good and he gets startled easily?

yep i am sure he can, will check with the vet but the ears twitch when he hears noise and so do his eyes, sally you will again see what i mean tommorrow :D

Back